Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wet fur? Matted!  (Read 815 times)

Cereal-Killer

• Chinchilla Decompresser
  • Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: One
  • Eats Cereal, Hugs her Chinchilla
    • View Profile
Wet fur? Matted!
« on: January 17, 2015, 04:41:17 PM »

So Pepper is on medication for his diarrhea (which I can say is working well), and he acted like a 5 year old when I first tried to give it to him(now he is great about it and allows me to keeps the syringe in his mouth without chewing it) some meds accidentally dribbled down his chin. I cleaned up most of it, but the bottom of his chin is still spiky+matted. He keeps rubbing it as well. Also, his nose is a bit redder(probably from all of the rubbing). How do I clean the matted fur?
Be bold, be </strong >

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Wet fur? Matted!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 05:38:08 PM »

Just use a damp washcloth with plain water after you medicate to wipe the area. Don't get it soaking wet, just wet enough that you need, or the water can mat the fur worse. If you need to soak the fur take care he doesn't get cold from having water on him.
Just make sure to dry thoroughly to prevent matting from the water. As long as it's not terribly tangled and twisted the mat will grow out in a few weeks. I encountered a similar thing with Kulu when I treated him for coccidia. I remember it was about two weeks before he looked completely normal again.
Don't be afraid to get two people if that will make it less messy.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up