Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cage Questions  (Read 1588 times)

Cereal-Killer

• Chinchilla Decompresser
  • Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: One
  • Eats Cereal, Hugs her Chinchilla
    • View Profile
Cage Questions
« on: January 17, 2015, 04:35:44 PM »

So, I was on Youtube, browsing through chin +guinea pig  ::silly:: videos, and then, it hit me.  ::cry222::: :doh: Pepper lives in a very inadequate cage. He has an All living things TM cage, which is (according to the petsmart website) 25.5"L x 17.125"W x 22.25"H. If that doesn't scare you, I don't know what will. Pepper is still small (He's a few months maybe 4-5 months, not quite sure, I shopped not adopted I'm turribly sorry ::cry222::: :'( ) so it's not impacting his health quite a lot, but I want to make sure he lives in a comfy cage. I'm not one of those owners with a closet full of fleeces and tubs of hay and grids, but I want him to have a decently sized(but not overpriced, I'm still in middle school, so I don't want to give my mom an aneurysm.) cage. I checked out a few websites and this cage: http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/cages-habitats-hutches/all-living-things-small-animal-home-zid36-20362/cat-36-catid-600011?var_id=36-20362&_t=pfm%3Dcategory%26pfmvalue%3Dfaceted seemed nice, but it was $50-$60 dollars above what I would even CONSIDER showing to my mom. I don't have time to build one, so if you could send me links of nice cages $100 and below I would really appreciate it, thanks. Also, should I put a fleece in his cage, or is that not necessary?  ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly::
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:39:30 PM by GrayRodent »
Be bold, be </strong >

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Cage Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 05:30:40 PM »

I'm not really an expert on the current cage market so I hope someone else will comment. The cages I typically recommend are in the $200 range. Perhaps you can find a used one on craigslist. From my experience with cages you pretty much get what you pay for since so many designs use plastic. Just last week someone had a chinchilla escape from around a plastic cage pan so it can be disastrous. They can be quite reasonable but you'll have to scrub and disinfect it very thoroughly with bleach outdoors just in case.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:41:16 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Cereal-Killer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »

It's ok, I found a very good one for $125 on Amazon, but my dad is just a not nice person (I don't even plan on talking to my parents after I'm done with college) so it will take me a while to get it
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:02:32 PM by GrayRodent »
Be bold, be </strong >

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 12:27:02 PM »

I'm glad you found a cage.
We do try to maintain a family-friendly environment here. I do edit posts that don't meet that criteria. It sounds like you're definitely having issues with your family. It is always best to reconcile our differences with each other if it's possible and try to come to a mutual understanding. It is not always possible to have the ideal cage setup for a chinchilla and the best of what we want for our pets but that's okay. It's an opportunity to get creative with what we do have available to us and make the best from what we have.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Cereal-Killer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 12:22:23 PM »

So me and my dad worked out a system to earn the money(I could get the cage by mid march!) here is a pic of pepper's cage post-weekly clean
Be bold, be </strong >

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 01:45:58 PM »

That's cool. Learn how to earn and that can go a long way. I'm glad you were able to work something out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up