Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alfalfa?  (Read 2206 times)

Stacy

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • My chinchillas
Alfalfa?
« on: November 02, 2006, 09:23:12 AM »

I am soooo confused.

I have my chins on the Kline pellets, the suplament, and they get alfalfa hay cubes. The breeder I get there food from has all her chins on it and they all seem to be in really good shape. I also read in the book by Alice Kline that she feed the Alfalfa also. I have been reading some post on here that make it sound like the alfalfa may not be the best choice. Like I said I am confused. Is the alfalfa ok or not?   ::shrug::

I do give the timothy at times but its more like a treat to them.

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
Re: Alfalfa?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 09:51:01 AM »

Alfalfa is a legume hay, which is much richer and higher in crude protein and calcium. It can cause digestive problems and soft stools. Timothy is a grass hay, which is higher in fiber, lower in protein, and lower in calcium content. This helps to keep the gastrointestinal tract functioning properly and helps to prevent loose stools.

I stick with the rule that, if a chinchilla is being fed an alfalfa-based pellet, they should be fed primarily timothy hay and, if they are being fed a timothy-based pellet, they should be fed primarily alfalfa hay.  Since Kline is an alfalfa-based pellet, I would personally feed timothy hay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up