Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Wilson White Chinchilla  (Read 8786 times)

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
A Wilson White Chinchilla
« on: November 14, 2006, 12:00:13 AM »

Jo Ann,
"Lilo", the new white mosaic girl I just got you thought could be a Wilson White.
Would you mind posting a few pictures of my new girl and talking about "Wilson Whites"?
I have white ebonies, white mosaics and beige whites (also called pink whites) but what now is a Wilson White?  I have read about them before online and in my chinchilla books & magazines.
 :doh:  I just need a refresher course on all of these "whites".  Since I am not a breeder you all know 10 times more about this coloring/genetics stuff than I do!  :blush2:

Edit: Just added Lilo's Pictures for you ... she is beautiful!   ::wave:: Jo Ann
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 07:15:33 AM by Jo Ann »
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: A Wilson White Chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:31:08 AM »

::silly::You opened a whole new can of worms!  ::nod::

When showing chinchillas ... from what I was told ... if a chinchilla has white fur on it (excluding the normal white-belly fur), then it goes in the "white" category.  The white category can end up being a duke's mixture, but normally consist of pink whites (actually a white/beige), and white mosaics.

The first known Wilson White was born in 1955 ... according to what I have read, it was white all over with gray ears (looks like a "pink-white", but with gray ears) and has dark eyes.  Sorry, Joyce, I forgot about Lilo's dark fur at the base of her tail.

The "Pink White" (actually a white/beige) is white all over, pink ears, pink/red eyes and pink pads and will often show a hint of beige as it matures.

The normal term we all use "Mosaic" is not technically correct, but is used because it is generally accepted.  Keep in mind that the ones listed on this page that show white fur (other than normally white bellies), when showing, are considered "white".

The White Mosaic is white with gray markings, gray ears, dark eyes, and dark pads.  The pattern they exhibit as a kit may continue to change as the kit matures and even over years.

The Silver Mosaic is again, another name given to the white mosaic. This is because it exhibits a more even silver appearance over it's body with a white base on the fur, often tipped in gray.

The Reverse Mosaic has more gray than white showing, but can often change to mostly white as it matures.

The Black Velvet or Gunning Black (also known in a show as a "Black" ) will have a white belly and a pattern/veiling of black on it's face head and back, blending with gray to a white belly.

The White Mosaic/Black Velvet carrier is white with gray and black markings, gray or black ears, black pads and is often mistaken as an ebony white. It will have Black Velvet and White in it's background.  This chinchilla will usually continue to produce kits with pretty pure white bellies, even with the standard grays it produces.

In a show an ebony is not a black, it is an ebony.

The White Ebony looks like a pink white, but has an ebony and a white parent (or both in it's background) and has dark eyes, usually.   
The White Mosaic/Ebony carrier is white with black markings, dark  ears, dark eyes and dark pads .   
Both the White Ebony and the White mosaic/Ebony Carrier will have ebony and white/beige or white mosaic in it's background.  These chinchillas will often produce dark or "dirty" bellies when standards are produced from this mixture of mutations.  And/or there is a chance of producing dark bellies with any mutation when an ebony is in the background.

The TOV White Mosaic is a white with dark ears and pads and brown (beige) markings.  They will have brown velvet (a mix of Black Velvet and beige) and white in it's background.

TOV Brown refers to the "Brown Velvet" and is in reference to the brown/tan color pattern that blends into a beige then to the white belly.
Keep in mind, when mixing a Tan (produced from an ebony and a beige) with a TOV Brown ("Brown Velvet")  you are again, looking at possible future "dirty bellies".

The White Violet (actually a white/violet carrier) is a kit born to a violet and a pink white (white/beige) or a violet and a beige.  They, as the beige/whites do, may also show tinges of beige as they mature.

Always remember, when you mix two or more mutation colors together ...
the kits born are no longer the "pure" color of either parent ...
nor will their descendants be a pure/true color.
Mutations are genetically weaker than the standard gray.
Please, please, please, use standard gray as your base in your breeding!
Do not breed to see how many different "colors" you can get from one pair,
but for the truest colors and highest qualities you can get!

Off my soap box for now.    :blush2:

If I have goofed anywhere, please let me know.   ::)

::wave::
Jo Ann

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 09:24:33 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 12:07:32 PM »

;) WOW Jo Ann,

Thank you so much for the beautiful and thorough reply!  I need to make a copy of that to keep with my paperwork.  So, Lilo is then considered a white mosaic?  She is really a very white one then isn't she!  Compared to my others she is like a snowball.  And her ears are much darker like my white ebony Madara.
I just love her already.  She is so low keyed and loving and so is her boyfriend Stitch.  He is a character though.  For as tiny as he is (467 grams) full grown he has alot of chutzpah!!!  He is a BIG personality in a small package!  Notice that Lilo's whiskers are ALL chewed down to the cheeks.  He is definitely the dominant one around here and shows signs of it!  But he is a love too and likes attention as well as being handled.
Apparently when he was young he escaped from his cage with Lilo when the owners were out.  Lilo was OK but little Stitch had been brutally attacked by the cat.  He was taken to the emergency hospital and treated. Surgery, stitches, antibiotics etc...  Then ended up with a horrible abcess later and needed to be treated for that.  Poor guy.  I know his owners were just sick about it all.
Could this horrific incident have any effect on his fertility?

RMC

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 07:30:34 PM »

"Wilson White " was the term given to the dominant white mutation when it occured,very similiar to the Tower beige,Gunning Black velvet, Afro violet.
Any and all dominant whites are wilson whites or Wilson white hybrids.
The other terms,mosaic, reverse mosaic ,silver, are all phenotype discritions of whites very similiar to the way color phases are used to describe other chins, A medium standard ,and a extra dark standard are still standards. Just a a prediminantely white ,and mosaic are still whites. It just is a discription of there appearance.
the term "mosaic" is every bit if not more so correct then the term "piebald" when refering to patterns on whites. The term "piebald" is not accurate genetic term when refering to patterns on Doiminant whites, regardless of  claims a particular group.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 08:45:56 PM »

::silly::
"Wilson White" was the term given to the dominant white mutation when it occurred ... Any and all dominant whites are Wilson whites or Wilson white hybrids.
OK ... Then with that being said ... Lilo is a Wilson White ...  ;) ... and probably one of the closest ones to the original Wilson White with what little bit of dark markings she has and so much white.

Thanks for the comment on the term "mosaic" and the "piebald" ... different people do call things by different names.   ::)

but little Stitch had been brutally attacked by the cat.  He was taken to the emergency hospital and treated. Surgery, stitches, antibiotics etc...  Then ended up with a horrible abscess later and needed to be treated for that.  Poor guy.  I know his owners were just sick about it all.
Could this horrific incident have any effect on his fertility?
Don't know ... I'll bump that question ....

::wave::
Jo Ann[/i]
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ChinnyGirl

• cHinNy'S=LoVe!!!!
  • Appreciation points: 0
  • My Cheerio Girl!<3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 05:58:02 PM »

hi

wow she is really cure Joyce

how old is she???? ::think::

~steph
^ ^
(o..o)
( .  .)///////

chinchilla!x0x0

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 10:03:46 PM »

:) Hi Steph,   she is between 3-4 years old.  I am her 3rd and last owner.  She will be with my family & I now in her forever home!   ::kiss99::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 08:15:05 AM »

She is a beauty Joyce.
I love the solid whites.
I have one that the only gray on her at all was at the very base of her tail.
She lost her tail in a chin fight.
She had 3 kits since I've had her, the first we lost, the other 2 have no ears, so I took her out of breeding.
I got her 2000 at 5 years old.
My Wilson white Willow hope you don't mind :blush2:
Debbie.nl.ca

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 10:51:57 AM »

;)  Debbie, she is just gorgeous and must say very cute without a tail!  I love the solid whites too.

It's great seeing pictures, anyone else have any whites?  Please share!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up