Chinchillas > Cages

cages

<< < (3/3)

chinchillagrl06:
Here are a couple of cage building links for you. :::grins::
http://www.spoiledchins.net/habitats.htm
http://chinchillacymru.co.uk/buildcage.htm
http://www.hapagirl.com/cage/instructions.html
That's all I could find for now, but if you do a search, you can probably find alot more. :)

Chilla:
For a wire-bottomed cage (which I do shy away from) I have heard to use 1/2" X1/2" spacing.  Would 1/4"X1/4" still be OK, or do you think they would get their toes stuck or something? ::shrug::

Jo Ann:
::silly:: Hi All!  I'm putting my 2 cents worth on  several questions, so check 'em all out.    rofl

Banjoboy ... the wire used in bird cages is often not galvanized wire, but a lighter weight/strength wire and chins have been known to chew through them ... a chin can chew through a 1/4" in aluminum rod overnight.  :doh:

Mevachiu ... the plastic will eventually take it's toll and it will be to late for the chinchilla.  Wire that is 1/2" x 1/2" or 1/4" square is usually small enough to be safe for adult chinchillas, but I still put pine wood boards and bedding on top of the wire on the ones that have wire basis.  A chinchilla that stays on bare wire constantly can develop bumblefoot (sores and blisters on it's feet). :'(

Harvey ... using an old dresser, chest of drawers or cabnet can be asking for trouble if you are not VERY careful.  Paint may contain led.  If it is pressed wood instead of solid wood, the glue could be poison for a chin.  Chins will chew any exposed area and can even chew a hole big enough to get out in a very short time.  If it is made of cedar or many other hard woods, they can kill your chin.  (Cedar puts off fumes that can cause respiratory infections in chinchillas.)  Proper ventilation is necessary ... leaving 3 of the 4 sides solid can restrict the air flow.  Openings should be made to allow the air to flow through the cage naturally.  Chins love to spray ... urine can be absorbed by the wood and cause a bacterial build-up.  How could you sterilize the wood if one of the chins came down with Guardia?   ::puke::   Having the insides covered with a washable surface and having all exposed edges covered is almost a must!  These look beautiful at first, and can remain so, if properly built.   ::nod::

Chilla ... the adult chins usually do not have a problem with getting toes caught, but the kits will sometimes.  Any time you have a wire bottom cage, the bottom of the cage needs to be sterilize frequently (just as the solid trays should be) and pine wood boards need to be available for them to stand on to avoid bumble foot.  :-[

::wave::
Jo Ann

kathye512:
::silly:: I got a cat cage for my pair.  It is one of those cages you see the adoption cats in at the pet stores.  It works great.  It has close to a 1" spacing between the vertical bars and about 4" horizontal spacing.  It has a thick plastic tray on casters that the cage slides into.  The chins can't get a old on it with their teeth.  It comes with 2 shelves and the leepin ledges fit easily all over.  It is 4ft tall x 4ft long x 2ft wide.  I made a 3rd shelf and hung a hammock at the top and will be adding a jolly ball once I get the chain to hang it.  Another great feature is the 2 doors on the front.  One is on top and the other below.  they are about 18" wide and tall and have a bar that slides in front of them to keep them closed.  When I open one it serves as a platform for my chin to sit on while I pet her.

Jo Ann:
::silly:: Hi Kathye ...

Plastic in, or as a part of, a chinchilla cage is a  ::nono:: Chinchillas will chew/consume anything they can get their little teeth into.  Plastic will not digest, dissolve or soften in a chinchilla's system and can cut it and/or block it up.  Even if you do not see a problem now, most likely, you will see a problem in the future ... just give it time and loose a chin.  :'(

You said the cage is for your 'pair' of chins?  Is this by chance a male/female pair?  If so, with wire the size you are using, when they have kits, the kits will fall out/crawl out between the wires.  If they do not die from the fall, they could chill and get pneumonia, get stepped on and or starve.  :'(  Wire covering a chinchilla's cage should be 1/2" x 1" or smaller.  Don't feel to bad if you did not know this already, many new chin owners do not and have to find out the hard way.  :(

What is a jolly ball?  That's a new one on me.

I am posting a picture of a chinchilla cage that is a good size for 1 to 3 or 4 chins.  We use to make them, but do not anymore.  It became to expensive to get the pans custom made.

::wave::
Jo Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version