Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grooming Advice  (Read 3552 times)

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
Grooming Advice
« on: December 06, 2006, 04:33:34 PM »

Hi All,

::silly:: OK, I just received my #4 chinchilla comb in the mail yesterday. I am sitting her looking at it thinking how beautiful it is! 
But to be honest have no clue where or how to begin.  :-[
 I have only been doing the chinchilla thing for about 5 years now and none of my fuzzies have ever appeared to need a grooming!  Until now that is.  Suddenly everyone is loosing more hair than normal lately and 2 of my older chins need to be combed due to loose hair, fur tweeks and one (that I just took in) has a little matt in her fur.
So, we have cats & dogs and have always brused/combed and groomed them.  But I am told and have read it is much different to comb  a chinchilla.  Do you actually comb backwards from the rear up to the head? 
Help!  I think I need to order the video from Chin World.  Does anyone know any other place that sells an instructional video or info. on grooming?

Thanks!
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Grooming Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 06:30:36 PM »

I think chinworld is selling the DVD now, but you don't really need it if you aren't going to show.  Just get in a comfortable position and hold your chinchilla by the base of the tail.  I find that with some chinchillas you can let their front legs rest on something but with others it is safer to suspend them in the air.  (Some chinchillas will twist their bodies if they can touch the ground which will cause their tail bone to bend in your hand.  This could cause a break.  Holding them in mid air by the base of the tail can not hurt them.)  If you do let them rest on your lap put a pillow down or you could get bitten.

Now relax and take your time.  Start at the butt and work forward.  Also, start with a standard grey chinchilla.  You will remove an alarming amount of hair.  If the hair (on a grey) is all grey you are doing it right and only removing dead hair.  If you see hair with white bands you are pulling out live hair which means you are going too fast.  Remove the dead hair from the comb with each brush.  You might find that it is easier for you to work a little than give it a rest because the first grooming on a good quality animal can easily take an hour or more.

Your chinchilla will not like the brushing and will probably scream and will most likely try to bite.  Don't be alarmed.  He will be fine.  Be sure to give him a treat and a dust bath afterwards as a reward.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 06:54:33 PM »

::wow::
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 10:47:20 PM »

:2funny: Joyce!  I totally understand how you feel.  When I first heard how grooming is done I though "there is no way I am suspending my baby by his tail!!!"  It's not as bad or as complicated as it sounds, and with alittle treat afterwards, and maybe an extra dist bath or two they get over being mad pretty quickly.  Good luck!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 08:39:17 AM »

::silly:: Just take your time and use very small strokes (like you would on a small child with tangles in it's hair).  Long strokes don't work. 
 :2funny:  Yep, you start at the underside at the butt.  :2funny:
 ::think::  Seems like I saw a grooming video on another site, but don't remember where.  It's better to see someone do it, like in the video, but even better if you have someone in person help you. 

Make sure Mike or the girls do not try to calm them by touching the one you have suspended in air ... they will bite if they are ticked off.  The more they are groomed, the better they get ... usually.  I've been told, it is best to get them to use to grooming, by starting at 6 weeks of age.

Must be something in the air, I've seen more posts and talked to more people that seem to be having "porcupine chinchillas" this year.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 10:43:40 AM »

Oh My Joyce,
Mine eyes are filled up again ::wow:: :2funny:

Yes I know, and I broke Pokie's leg trying to groom him, he is a twister.
Funny a few like it, some don't mind at all while others would rather have their ears pierced I'm sure. ;D
Debbie.nl.ca

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 07:28:13 AM »

Legs are sooo easy to break!  That is why it is so important to hold at the base of the tail.  You CAN NOT hurt them this way.  I know its so hard at first and it seems like it would be cruel, but it is the safest way to do it.  Just like when you have to take your kids for shots, knowing it will keep them well....you have to hold a chinchilla by the tail, knowing it will be the safest for him.  :)

I promise it won't be as bad as it sounds.  ;)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up