Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: malloclusion Q's  (Read 17204 times)

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
malloclusion Q's
« on: December 11, 2006, 01:55:30 PM »

OK I hope I get all this right so here it go's. As you know I got Norry a few mths back,her son a black velvet his great grandma was just diagnosed malocclusion. I am suppost to get him some time aound the 15th. She did not tell me this,  :flames:  I found this out toughe old posts. what should I do? should I tell I can't take him? Or ? I'm at a total loss as what to do. Please help!!!  :'(

Stacy

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • My chinchillas
Re: malloclusion Q's
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 02:58:29 PM »

I would be very upset also, but I don't know what I would do.  :-\

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 04:53:42 PM »

I personally would not take a chin who had a genetic mistory that included malocclusion.  But since it is his great grandmother, you might consider whether this problem has been seen in any of the other chins in the line.  If it has not occurred anywhere else then maybe it is ok, but it is up to you whether you feel comfortable taking the risk.

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 06:44:41 PM »

I don't know if it has shown up any where in line. I just want to love this guy and then lose him.  :'(  Think god that it on the father's siad and not Norry's, she is the sweest chin.

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 10:31:37 PM »

I personally would not chance it.  You can always find another BV male, but how comfortable are you with paying large amounts of money for regular dental visits throughout his entire life and with the possibility of watching him suffer?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 07:24:47 AM »

::silly::Number one, I would confront the breeder about his great grandmother having malocclusion.
Malocclusion can be hereditary and/or (according to what I have heard) be caused by other things.
I would want to know which it was and why you were not told.

That being said ... regardless what the cause ...
         you were not told by the breeder ...  can you trust anything they tell you ...
                        Do you want to purchase from someone who has not been truthful with you?

Are you willing to love this little one, then, possibly, see it suffer and/or have to put it down?  ::think::

All of my remarks are IF the malocclusion is hereditary and not caused by something else ...
IF there is a reason other than hereditary, I would reconsider, but with great caution.
Just my two cents worth.   ::shrug::

It the end, it is up to you.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 09:16:46 AM »

Thank every one,this is what I was looking for. I just couldn't believe it you know. If I took him I would never have breed him. I am going to email her today, b/c I don't want this to happen some one else. I feel very  :flames:  :noway:  :'( all at the same time. I just can't put knowly put myself though that.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 05:29:17 PM »

That's sound like a good choice to me.
I have read it takes both parents being carriers for a kit to become sick.
The thing is we can't tell who's a carrier until they or their off spring get sick.
Some say genetic malocclusion will show by the age of 3, while some say 5.
So how many off spring could be produced by the same pair before a case of malocclusion shows up?
How many of those could already be in breeding themselves?

It doesn't take much for a chin to have teeth problems. Anything from a smack to the mouth, an illness or even stress. Anything that would cause a chinchilla to go off it's feed will cause the teeth to over grow and wear irregularly..
Once irregular growth and wearing starts you get into all kinds of problems.
I have seen spaces develop between the teeth and feed can get caught causing gum disease.
I have seen laserations to the cheeks from points and spurs that develop from irregular chewing.They can get infected too.
I've seen some drool at the earliest stage, while one hardly ever.
With all we know it's not enough yet.

I don't believe there is any way of knowing for sure what caused each of my cases.
Though I did see one take a good bump to the mouth and later developed.
One had a severe injury as a kit, and developed malocclusion before he was 2.
Another suffered from hypoglycemia, went into shock, off his feed then needed trims.
Though the vet is inclined to believe the jaw bumps are a good indication of genetics, I've seen them in all  my cases, and don't agree.

Knowing what I know I would never buy or sell a chin from a line that had any signs of malocclusion in it anywhere.
To me it's just not worth the heart ache for me/new owner, or the punishment for the chin.
Debbie.nl.ca

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 06:12:26 PM »

The sad thing is this guy is only about 5 mths. I feel so bad for this chin,who is going to want him know this. The great grandmother is 6 years old. I know I shouldn't feel so bad but I do!

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 11:54:15 PM »

I purchased a pair of bonded breeding chinchillas when I first got into breeding.  Both of them ended up maloccluding after I had them for over 2 years and each was around 5 years old.  The female maloccluded during her last pregnancy and I felt awful that I had to wait until she delivered and had successfully nursed the baby for 6 weeks before I could put her down.  About six months after that, the male maloccluded.  I was very lucky that every one of the kits they had produced were placed in non-breeding homes.  That being said, I contacted each person that had one of the offspring and let them know that, if the animal ever had problems with the teeth, they could bring it back to me and I would give them a healthy, high quality replacement.  I know how hard it was for me to watch my two chinchillas suffer and I wouldn't want one of my customers to have to go through that.

I think not putting yourself through potential heartache is a wise decision.

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 12:22:56 AM »

Thank you for your support. I know I made the decision,but still does not feel good.I know that if am this upset a about this now imagn when he had become my pet.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 09:46:20 AM »

Thank you for your support. I know I made the decision,but still does not feel good.I know that if am this upset a about this now imagn when he had become my pet.

It never feels good when you look at a chin and know the odds are that it will have to suffer before it dies and can never have the full life, which it deserves.  If it did not make you feel bad, there would be something wrong. 

Some chins that have a tooth problem with the front teeth, they can be clipped on a regular basis by the owner after they are trained to do so, this can be done almost painlessly (re: "Toofie" In Breeding 101 under: "Super Chinnie Mom"  &  "Dear Sweet Cody is gone!") ... but when the side and back teeth become involved, the chin will probably suffer greatly before someone finally lets him pass on in peace. 

When the side and jaw teeth are involved ... at the first signs of pain/difficulty, please let him/her go free before they have to suffer.  It is not fair to them.  Do not be selfish and think only of the pleasure the chin gives you.  Do not return his/her love with continued pain.

Jo Ann
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:47:51 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 02:07:04 PM »

It never feels good when you look at a chin and know the odds are that it will have to suffer before it dies and can never have the full life, which it deserves.  If it did not make you feel bad, there would be something wrong. 

Some chins that have a tooth problem with the front teeth, they can be clipped on a regular basis by the owner after they are trained to do so, this can be done almost painlessly (re: "Toofie" In Breeding 101 under: "Super Chinnie Mom"  &  "Dear Sweet Cody is gone!") ... but when the side and back teeth become involved, the chin will probably suffer greatly before someone finally lets him pass on in peace. 

When the side and jaw teeth are involved ... at the first signs of pain/difficulty, please let him/her go free before they have to suffer.  It is not fair to them.  Do not be selfish and think only of the pleasure the chin gives you.  Do not return his/her love with continued pain.

Jo Ann

Jo Ann I totlly agree with what you siad. Tears came to eye's as I read it.

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »

OK I talked to her on phone last night,she said that she did not put to and together.That is so very sorry that she did not even think about that. As far as she knows it great grandmother's family as not got malocclusion.She is checking in to it. I helped her call some of the other people who bought chins from this line for her, she was so upset. I know I should not take this chin for all the reasons every one has said but I want this chin to have as nice of life as he can. She is just giving him to me, the money that I was going to buy him is going the vet for a check. I am also starting a fund for future vet visits. Also any thing else that I should be aware of?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 06:36:01 PM by chinpo »

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 08:38:47 PM »

::angel2:: God Bless You.  Enjoy the new baby and we will pray that he never has any problems.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up