Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ear Mites?  (Read 6757 times)

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
Ear Mites?
« on: December 14, 2006, 08:46:25 PM »

::shrug:: Has anyone ever had a chin with ear mites or ear problems?  The new girl I rescued over a month ago has wild ears!  She looks like she always has a book on her head, her ears stick out sideways.  They rarely if ever go up (you now bunny like).  She doesn't scratch them or anything.  She just has huge ears that go straight out from each side of her head.  Sometimes they look lopsided too.  I have never had a chin with ear issues or mites or anything.  Not familiar with the ear ailments.  Maybe her ears are just so big she can't hold them up? 
This is the older Wilson White girl I took in.  I can't remember if I have ever posted her picture on another post somewhere.
Jo Ann did I send you any photos of her ears doing as I mentioned above? 
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
Re: Ear Mites?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 10:49:08 PM »

Ear mites are exceptionally uncommon and you'd have other symptoms.  Sometimes ears look a bit strange if the chinchilla is dehydrated.  Is she drinking enough fluids?

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 02:22:01 PM »

Yes, she does seem to drink enough.  My husband gently looked in the very opening of her ears with a pediatric scope and saw no mites.  But he did say they were not very clean either.   :(
Could a chinchilla's ears bother them if they are dirty inside (from possibly being kept in poor conditions)?   ::shrug:: How else would a chins ears get dirty inside?  It seemed like she was kept well in her previous home.
What do you do for a chin with ears that may need cleaned?
 ::scaredspeachless:: I am almost afraid to mess with a squiggly chin to try to clean an ear!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 09:15:52 AM »

::silly::Hi Joyce,
    I don't think you have sent me a picture of the chin with "challenged ears" ...  :doh:  I must be full of it today ... you know how I hate being "politically correct".   rofl

I have one that has rather large ears and she often/most of the time, lets them lay to the side, but will bring them up when she is showing interest in something.  Does yours ever bring them up?  Mine likes to stay inside her hut alot ... to do this, her ears have to go to each side, she does not seem to like to pin them back.  ::shrug::

Earmites?   Never seen that in a chin, but I would think, it might be possible to spread them from a cat, or dog, or even a human that has them.    But, I would think the chin would be scratching almost constantly.   ::pull hair::

I would think using peroxide would be OK to clean the ears, but, I would check with the vet first ... I've never used it on a chin, but I would not think it would hurt them ... aggravate, but not hurt.  ::wacko::

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 09:23:00 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 10:41:57 AM »

Well just to be safe we took the chin with the "challenged ears" to the vet.  He checked her ears and they are just fine, no mites!  I guess she just likes to keep her ears flat down and out to either side of her!  ::shrug::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 02:12:01 PM »

would still like to see the pic of the chin with the
"challenged ears"
;D
Glad she OK