Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hay.  (Read 6094 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Hay.
« on: January 14, 2007, 12:36:02 PM »

I was just curious as to the difference between types of hay. Not the makes themselves but types, such as meadow hay, timothy hay etc. Why are certain types better for chinnies than others?

:::grins::

jmrothermel

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Hay.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »

I'm not an expert, and I'm sure someone here might be able to help you better, but I'll tell you what I know :)

If you are feeding them alfalfa based pellets (such as mazuri, Oxbow, etc) I've heard then you should give them a different type of hay such as Timothy.

If you are feeding them Timothy hay based pellets, then its vice versa.

I'm sure someone here can help you understand better the differences, but thats the info I've gotten.

Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 04:28:55 PM »

Actually that's quite interesting because we found out that all the pellets in the UK are not hay or alfalfa based, so should he be getting a bit of both?

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 07:25:14 PM »

I feed my herd of 30 Mazuri pellets which has alfalfa in it already.  They don't get any additional alfalfa except a pinch for a treat every now & then.  One of our momma's was very calcium depleted so she got alfalfa through her pregnancy and after for quite some time.  We also give her 2 kits alfalfa hay.
We give everyone unlimited timothy hay.  Timothy is important for them not only nutritionally but to help them wear down their teeth.
As far as alfalfa goes everyone willl have their own personal opinion about it.  We don't give alfalfa (other than what is in the pellets, which I think they need) because our vet told us they are finding that bladder stones are becoming more common in chinchillas.  They are making the connection between the extra protein/calcium in alfalfa with the stones.  These stones most frequently are calcium stones.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 12:13:07 PM »

Actually that's quite interesting because we found out that all the pellets in the UK are not hay or alfalfa based, so should he be getting a bit of both?

In this case, yes, I think that giving both Timothy and Alfalfa hay would be best.

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 07:50:56 PM »

yes, I had heard there were no good hay-based pellet diets in the UK.  I wonder if it would be possible to generate enough interest with one of the american companies here to make it reasonably available over there?

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 07:57:27 PM »

I'd have to speak to some breeders around the UK, or maybe even mention it to the companies that make the pellets.  :)
So why is Timothy hay so good compared to just normal hay?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 09:06:36 AM »

Each hay has a different nutritional content.  Timothy and alfalfa hay are really good in the nutrients that chinchillas need. They have been sucessfully used by most breeders over the years and in chinchillas when we find something that works we tend to stick with it. 

Some other hays are not as good.  For example where I live everyone growns coastal bramuta hay.  It has very little nutritional value at all.  If I were to feed the chinchillas all they wanted they would fill up on hay and eat very little pellets.  Since the hay is not healthy enough for the chinchillas it is basically just a filler and they would start losing weight and begin getting sick.

If you live in a farming comunity you might want to try to find a good hay farmer to ask about what is grown locally.  Our local hay farmer is a wonderful help!  If you can find one that knows timothy and or alfalfa hay they might know of another hay that is just as good.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Chins To Love

• Serenity
    • View Profile
    • Chins To Love
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 10:19:53 AM »

We use timothy, alfalfa, and oat grass, they really seem to like the mix. I have always ordered my hay from Oxbow--
it is more expensive but always fresh and of the highest quality, oh and it is delivered right to my door. ::nod::
Julianne
Julianne,  Proud ECBC member

Chins To Love
Fresno, CA
www.chinstolove.com

Pookahsmom

• Pookahsmom
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 04:58:15 AM »

If you decide to buy hay from a farmer make sure it is the HORSE hay.  Cows stomachs are much different than horses as they can digest just about anything. Cow's hay can tend to have more mold or fescue/weeds. Horses easily colic.  As chinnie tummy are much more delicate, you want to stay with the horse hay then.  We got away from Oxbow hay as the stuff was cut so finely that it fell through the mangers.  It also looked no different than grass hay..not very rough in texture. I have also noticed with the horse hay that the quality is MUCH better and the grass is a little tougher which helps to wear down their teeth.  The hay is a mixture of Timothy and Alfalfa. They have been eating it without problems and even seem to enjoy it much more.
Hope this helps. ::silly:: :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up