Chinchillas > Cages

Lets Talk about cages!!

(1/2) > >>

Nefarous:
Hi There Everyone!! I hope you are all well!! :::grins::

I have some questions regarding cages. What is a good cage size for 1 and also for 2 chins?

I have a 24" x 14" x 36" cage. 2 ramps, 1 balcony and 1 full middle floor! I have 1 chinny.
I need to cover my middle floor with something, preferable not wood as its not really cleanable. Any suggestions?

Do you guys have any advice on what makes a great cage?

Any pictures?

Thanks!!

chinclub:
I usually suggest 2 ft square as a general idea of a 2 chinchilla cage, but I think yours is close enough.  Why do you need to cover the middle shelf?

Nefarous:
I am not 100% sure if Chins get this...but rats and rabbits for example can develop bumblefoot because of walking on wires. Of course its easier for them to develop this when they live in damp conditions, which won't be happening with my chinny. Also, for comfort reasons, personally I do not want my chin to walk on wire all day.  There is also the risk of catching their feet in the wire and breaking a leg. My cage spaces are not large, I could have hammies in my cage and they wouldn't get out... but there is still a chance of catching in the wire spaces.

Abby W.:
As long as the cage wire is 1/2" X 1" you shouldn't have any problems with injuries.  Chinchillas can develop bumblefoot if they are on wire constantly, but it sounds as if your chinnie would have a place to go to rest his feet and not be on wire all the time.  So, it isn't neceesary to cover the floor.  But it wouldn't hurt him either.  It just comes down to personal preference I guess.  I have heard of people using cardboard because it is easily attainable and disposable, and wood of course, but as you mentioned that has to be replaced periodically. 

ebengston:
I had a cage that had a second story and I just put several tiles over the wire. This way they were not always on wire, and the tiles also gave them a cool resting area!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version