Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Food Question??? Help De-frosting.  (Read 2930 times)

Lauren_201

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Food Question??? Help De-frosting.
« on: September 14, 2006, 05:38:59 PM »

How do you de-frost chinny food?

I froze 10 lbs of food in 3 freezer bags about a month ago. The reason for this was because the breeder that I buy the food from lives 2 1/2 hours from me, and that is a long drive! LOL. The last time I bought food half of it went bad because my apartment is only cool in one corner (where the chins are) So dumb me put the food in the pantry and it went bad, I had to make an emergency trip to the breeders house, luckily I discovered the food went bad on my first day off, so I was able to make the trip down there on the second day! She suggested that I freeze some of it to keep it from molding. I'm not a food savy person, nor am I good cook and I don't know anything about de-frosting stuff. I am a little bit too embarrased to call her. Thanks in advance. I hope I don't have to throw the stuff away, as was suggested on another forum. Any ideas?
There is no one "true" way
~ Chinmom to Chloe, Berry, and Jinx. ~

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Food Question??? Help De-frosting.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 11:21:04 AM »

::silly::Good question.
    How old is it?  Even frozen foods go bad after a certain time.
    I've never frozen the chin pellets, but, I would try putting it in the refrigerator instead of the freezer in airtight mason jars.  Then, try scooping out just a little each day ... only the amount they will use and see how it has/has not held-up under freezing.  Hopefully you vacuum-sealed it first.  If it has absorbed moisture, or shows 'frost-bite (ice crystals) on it ... hello trash can.  If it holds it's shape, it might be OK, but I don't think I would try it.
    Have you thought about just going ahead and making the 2 1/2 hour drive ever so often or having it shipped to you ... via UPS or by bus (bus would be faster and probably more economical)?  If the breeder will do it that way.
    If it's bad, it would be like feeding them sawdust ... no nutritional value. 
    Me ... I'd swallow my pride and call before I'd take a chance on my chins.  Let them know how you froze it, how long it's been in the freezer and let them help you make the decision.

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 11:24:10 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Lauren_201

• Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 06:18:20 PM »

I got it on July 8th, and froze it on July 8th. So it's not too old. The breeder was the one that suggested I freeze it. It's airtight, and there is no moisture in the food, I am going to try putting a bag in the fridge, and see how it turns out. I'll let ya know. Thanks! :)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 07:09:32 PM »

I used to freeze mine in plastic tubs,had to ship it in.
I just took out a tub at a time, about a weeks worth.
I have fed it too them right out of the freezer, great summer treat.Then I just let it thaw on the shelf.
I have never seen any condinsation on the tub, it was clean plastic so it did get cloudy,but never ran off.I guess there is no moisture in the feed so if it's airtight none can get in. Well min.
Just check the "snap factor" LOL best way I could think of to describe it. Crack some fresh so you know what it should feel like. Then when it thaws out do the same and see if it's softer than before.
If it's stale they probebely won't eat it anyway. :-\
Worth checking it all out though before you freeze 6 months supply. ::nod::Not all feeds are the same.
Debbie.nl.ca

Lauren_201

• Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 08:57:50 PM »

I think it's going to be okay. There is no sign of moisture at all. I double bagged it before I froze it in very expesive freezer bags (well... expensive for plastic LOL) I just did a smell and snap comparison with some of the food I left out of the freezer. It seems okay. It smells fresher than the stuff that I didn't freeze. Lets just call this an "experiment". I am hoping this works, because it would be nice to be able to buy 2 20lb bags, and not have to drive as much, but if it fails I will drive, or have my breeder ship it to me. I love my furry children, so I don't mind the drive, it does get boring though! It's just hard to do if it's a last minute thing. If it's a planned trip it's a little easie, plus she has 100+ chins, in every color there is, so it's always a learning experience. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up