Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gus and Felix scuffle  (Read 2173 times)

FUSSoverGUS

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Gus and Felix scuffle
« on: November 21, 2008, 10:57:05 PM »

so i got a new chinchilla because i thought Gus was getting lonely.  I let them play together too early(i know im stupid) and Gus tried to assert his authority by jumping on felix, they ended up barking at eachother so i immediately separated them (i moved felix into another room) after 2 days i moved Gus's cage into that room and set them up near eachother.  I would then let the boys play at separate times taking turns.  When one(the one out) would approach the other's cage(the one in the cage) they seem too not got along.  They would nip at each other and there was much tension but then they would run away and jump off the walls as though it was playful.  well after a few days it seemed to get more mild so i tried to let them out to play together again.  at first it was ok but then they just went straight for eachother and there was a tumbling ball of chinchilla rage.  I seperated them as fast as possible but felix seemed to lose a few clumps of hair.  at first gus seemed fine but then he layed on his ramp (like he usually does to cool down, or when he enjoys the AC after running around my room).  the room wasnt hot so i got concerned.  I started massaging him behind his ears and neck (he lets me pet him but not nearly as much as he did THIS time) and i noticed he was kind of whimpering.  I think that Gus really wanted a friend and was upset and possibly a little heart broken about the fight.  There are no signs of physical injury and no blood was shed. (i sustained a scratch but ill live)  I also noticed that Gus lost a little bit of hair but really not much at all.  Felix seems fine, hes as shy as usual but he doesnt seem started or upset at all.  Am i being too relaxed about this situation?  I don't think a vet is necessary but does anyone disagree.  then finally there is the matter of Felix.  Felix was bought from petsmart which has a 14 day return policy.  I'm well within the time frame for a return.  I feel so sad and guilty about taking him back but Gus is my baby boy and i refuse to put him in harms way.  Should i stick it out and just be slower about letting them play together?  if they never get along i would prefer for felix to go back.  I DO want to get Gus a buddy.  should i be more determined and stick it out with felix or try again in a few months after Gus feels 100% secure again.  I'm even considering getting a female (though I'm not sure im ready for kits)

feedback would be much appreciated.

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Gus and Felix scuffle
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:29:24 AM »

Well, I don't know how much help I can be, as I bought my girls together.  But I do know it will probably take you more than two weeks to introduce them.  Chinchillas move slow, and they will call the shots.  There is also a possiblity that they will never get along, and I have heard that males don't like to live together too much (it's the most difficult combination I think.  And, even if you get a female, you still have that possiblity.  When adopting a second chinchilla, you always have to accept that there is a chance they will have to be in separate cages.

One way of introducing that I"ve read is to let them bath in each other's dust to get used to scent, etc.  But you are probably moving too soon for them. 

Hope this helps.  I think others who have more experince will be of more help, but if they continue to fight, you will probably be out of luck. 

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Gus and Felix scuffle
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 02:20:44 PM »

::silly::   A few rules of thumb.  {First remember that rules are guide lines ... they are not set in stone.}

#1  It is best to get a chinchilla from a reputable breeder, not a pet store.  There are to many 'unknowns' about a petstore chinchilla. 

#2  It's usually best to get two same-sex chins at the same time, chinchillas that have been housed together, siblings of the same sex, if possible.
{When someone gets two chins from me, I introduce them before they ever leave me, if at all possible.}

#3  As a general rule, the longer a chinchilla is an 'only chin', the harder it is to introduce a new chin.  Chinchillas have all the emotions humans have.  Jealousy is among the most destructive of them.

#4  Generally there are 3 immediate results when introducing two strange chins to each other:

a.   They immediately start playing or snuggling together.  More than likely this is the way it will always be.  It is a rare and very good match, usually.

b.   They sniff each other and/or ignore each other.  There is a fairly good possibility they will eventually get along.

c.   They immediately start 'barking' at each other or start fighting.   Rarely do these ever get along ... try a different combination.

You have to be the judge of how well they seem to be getting along, no one else can tell you that.   You will be the responsible party as to what happens, depending on your judgement of the situation.  You can not hope or force them together, it could lead to the death/disability of one or both.   

Gus should not be lonely if you are spending enough one-on-one time with him, time with no other distractions.  At least 30 minutes to an hour each and every day (without fail) + quick a "Hi, Gus!" each time you enter, go by, or leave the room.   The one-on-one time needs to be on a daily schedule ... he will look forward to this time ... do not disappoint him.   :)

Gus tried to assert his authority by jumping on felix ... I feel so sad and guilty about taking him back but Gus is my baby boy and i refuse to put him in harms way.  Should i stick it out and just be slower about letting them play together?  if they never get along i would prefer for felix to go back.
   It sounds like you have already made up your mind.
   ::think::  But, if Gus jumped Felix, it is Felix I would be concerned about.  Sounds like Gus started it.  Maybe Gus does not want to share you.   :)

::wave::  Jo Ann

Hope this helps! 
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up