Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How long to let chins play  (Read 3637 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
How long to let chins play
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:22:20 PM »

I was wondering how long people on here let out there chins to play. I let them out for about an hr everyday. They always seem to want to be longer. I also don't want them to end up being to spoiled.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: How long to let chins play
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:27:29 AM »

::silly::     Chins are made to be spoiled!   rofl

Time outside of the cage should be the same amount of time each day and preferable the same time each day.  As we look forward to things that are pleasant, so do chinchillas.  This is why they love a regular routine.

Temperature and the amount of energy expended can make a huge difference in what is a "safe" amount of time. 
Some chins will go wild and run constantly (they get shorter play times). This can cause heat exhaustion even in a room that is 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
Some chins will take their time and explore in a casual way (they get longer play times).  They rarely become over heated.
Signs of heat exhaustion is panting and red veins showing in the ears ... never let your chin get to this point if possible.
With chinchillas that have bad hearts you have to be VERY careful with their playtime as not to stress the heart.
When a chin is out of the cage, it should be a one-on-one play time between the chinchilla and the owner ... with out distractions.

Just a few things you might want to consider when you think about, when planning out-of-the-cage-play-time.

::howdythere::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 06:47:39 PM »

Thanks for the help! I do my chins to be as happy as they can. Some times they run around more then other times. I have to pet store chins that seem healthy. It it common for chinchilla's to have bad hearts? I was also wondering if they were allowed to have peanuts?

THANKS!  :)

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 11:54:02 PM »

Unfortunately, heart murmurs are a fairly common problem among most rodents.  It is estimated that about 30% of the domestic chinchilla population have problems with heart murmurs (which are a weakening of the valve leading out of the heart, allowing some blood to backflow into the heart when it is supposed to be flowing out).  Heart problems can be hereditary or due to poor care, but can also develop naturally, for no apparent reason.  Hopefully, with we breeders can help reduce the incidence of this problem with good breeding practices, and continued education and studies of chinchilla physiology.

No, chinchillas should not have peanuts.  Peanuts, and most nuts, are very high in fat and cannot be easily and fully digested.  Unsalted soy nuts (only one at a time) can be given as a treat VERY infrequently (no more than once or twice monthly), and a thin slice of almond can be used as a last resort for treating extreme constipation.   

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 07:45:30 AM »

::silly::  With pet store chins you do not know the family history on a it/them. 
It is important to have a vet check them out to make sure they are very healthy and stay that way.   :) 
A 'wellness check-up' is good for all chinchillas regardless where you got them. 
This way the vet has a base line to compare to should your chin ever become sick and ...
IF it has a bad heart, you will know to limit those things that would aggravate the heart.

Nuts have a natural oil in them that can not be properly digested by the chinchilla.  This usually causes a fatty liver, which can kill your chin.

Also, should a piece of nut get lodged in a chins' throat, it would be next to impossible to get it out and nuts do not dissolve in time to keep the chin from choking to death.

No nuts, please!

Before a chin, male or female, is put into breeding, it needs to be checked by a vet.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 12:15:04 PM »

I agree with everything said. No Nuts and chinchillas really do like having schedules. Feed around the same time, clean around the same time...They even get used to the times when you are home. A change in schedule can very easily stress them out.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 05:01:13 PM »

I try to keep the same schedule. Sometimes thats hard. Each quarter my classes change. This should be my last quarter in college for awhile!!! I really help that I have healthy chins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up