Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchillas and balls...  (Read 12293 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Chinchillas and balls...
« on: January 18, 2009, 11:58:18 AM »

I know that some people like to put their chinchillas in balls and others would never even dream of it. I am one of the people who thinks it is a good idea and I have a video of Chong in his ball on YouTube with information on how to use them safely. However, the other day someone who said they were a small animal vet really laid into me about the video. Here's my take on the subject:

The ball has got to be big enough for your chinchilla. This means they shouldn't have to curve their back backwards to run around. Mine is 15 inches and they have to stand on their tip toes to reach from top to bottom.
Chinchillas can overheat easily in balls if you're not careful. I am always careful. They get no more than twenty minutes in it so they don't have time to overheat from running around and I make sure the room isn't too hot.
I think it's a safe way for them to get a bit more exercise. I have just moved into my first house with my boyfriend and we both work full time. We keep the bedroom dedicated to the chinchillas but sometimes it gets messy and we just don't have the time to tidy it. So rather than let them go with out a run I let them out in the ball because I know they can't eat anything they're not meant to. Most of the time they have a free run for half an hour.

I just wanted people's views on the subject because if someone tells me I might be hurting my babies I want to be damn sure I'm not. ::nod::

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: Chinchillas and balls...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 12:06:50 PM »

I don't like them because they can overheat easily also they are trapped in the ball with their poop and Urine it to me is just unsanitary. and not nearly as fun for them as the ability to actually explore.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 12:42:19 PM »

I don't like them because they can overheat easily also they are trapped in the ball with their poop and Urine it to me is just unsanitary. and not nearly as fun for them as the ability to actually explore.

Ditto what starleomach said.Also my boys love to hop on things and popcorn during playtime.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:47:07 PM by Harleychin »
Sandy

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:41:15 PM »

I used to use the ball, but stopped for the same reasons.  I would pull my white chinchilla out and she looked like a chocolate chip cookie, because the poops would stick in her fur.  I wouldn't say it is unsafe, if you take the proper precautions, but I don't prefer using them.  Frankly, as I got more and more chins it was hard to find time for individual exercise for each one every day.  I have larger cages, and flying saucer wheels in each one.  That seems to provide enough exercise for most of them.  Have you thought about a small animal playpen?  They are easy to set up, inexpensive, and provide running room without the danger of overheating, or getting covered in waste.  You can even get them with a mat that you can put underneath, to protect your floor, or over top to prevent escape.   

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 03:50:19 PM »

I agree with you guys. Mine only use the ball maybe twice a month other than that they have free run of the bedroom. I've tried playpens but they're never as safe as I think they should be. Mine will willingly hop into the ball because they love it so much, even if they're free running and I forget to put the lid on it they will jump into the ball and try to roll around, so I never worry about them being trapped. I don't think it's the ideal way to exercise a chinny 100% of the time but I like to use it every now and then.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:58:05 AM »

::silly::   I think the Jumbo (not less than 15" in diameter) plastic ball can be safe ...

IF ...

(1) you use them for approximately 5 to 15 minutes {while considering, the amount of time depends on room temperature, never use them outside, the current health of the chin, the amount of activity and safety + keep them under constant supervision while in the ball}  ...

(2) you clean them thoroughly, before and after each use, by each chinchilla ... never use it outside, or in a room with open doors, or in the same room that has a door directly to the outside, or around steps, or in a room that has floor vents, or have furniture you can roll it under and/or where it can get it stuck in one place ... (That's a big bunch of "if"s.)

(3) Most important of all ... ONLY under close constant supervision without distractions. 

Personally, I prefer not to use them at all, now, but I use to love it.
I had one, many years ago, one of my chins loved it, but when I saw how quickly he learned how to 'pop it open' and escape, by getting it going very fast, then banging it against the furnature to pop it open.  That's when the ball went 'bye-bye'.   :D

There are pros and cons for almost anything.  We just have to decide, with intelligent input and often with experience, what is best for us to do. 
People only know what they experience themselves or know from others ... this vet could have seen something, or a number of very bad things, happen to chinchillas whose irresponsible owners misused the balls.

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

oxchincerelyxo

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 01:08:20 PM »

I used to use the balls when I first got chins years ago, but never ever again for me.  I understand that people can be safer with them, but an issue that (suprisingly to me) no one has touched is their toes getting caught in those little cracks.  I've seen a handful at least of chins with broken toes etc. from those balls.  And with such little ventilation (especially seeing as chins barely can sweat to get the heat out as it is) I just think it's better to just let them have free run.   ;)

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:26:25 AM »

I use a ball . Its that gigantic one . I only use it for about 10 to 15 minutes at a time . I use it when I am cleaning his cage out and The hubby isnt home to watch him for me . I have not had any issues . He doesnt pee in it everytime but He poos but I found that if he does get a poo on his fur it comes out easily.
Pages: [1]   Go Up