Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla seems scared  (Read 1766 times)

whiskers387

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla seems scared
« on: April 14, 2009, 08:34:35 PM »

Well i just transfered her to her new cage yesterday and when you try to pet her she runs and when she is in a certain spot she will squeel when you try and pet her, does she just need to adapt?

Sorry for so many questions lately

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla seems scared
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:00:47 AM »

You need to let her adjust...settle in...and start with giving her a treat [but not over kill] and having her come eat out of your hand...let her smell you...and lay your hand in flat and let her hop onto it without picking her up. Your a two legged giant chasing her around the cage...she's scared from her travels...and her new surrounding I would think...It's normal...But you hit it on the nose...she needs to adjust and grow accustom to your sent. We sort of was like you...and did the same thing...but we've been giving treats and talking softly...and now our little guy will come up and stand on our hands...

I actually improperly installed a feeder that mounts on the side of the cage ::). While I was correcting that this morning...Nibbles jumped onto my shoulder... ??? I bent forward and he was then on my back...I turned so my back was to his cage. And he jumped back into his cage...But today he also came up and rubbed noses with my nose. Baby steps let them build their confidence. For I'm seeing it in ours already. [And I just picked him up on Saturday] He's still skittish and doesn't want held. But that will come with time...
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:22:08 PM »

::silly::   Good reply, cadillactaste.  It takes time and patients ... you can't rush it.

Where are you trying to pet her?

Where in the cage is she when she squeals?

Certain things are general and other things can be specific.

If you try to pet one on the head ... it is much like a predator coming over her.  Birds are a natural predator of chinchillas and always come from above.  This is frightening to her.

If you try to pet one on the cheek ... you might be brushing against it's whiskers.  The whiskers are ticklish to a chinchilla and chinchillas do not like to be tickled.

When changing from one cage to another, a chin needs time to adjust ... some will even become upset/stressed if you move their cage to a different room or a different part of the same room or at a different level.  Chinchillas prefer to be chest level or above.  When the cage is waste high or below, tomany things are moving above the chinchilla for it to feel comfortable.

::wave::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:32:58 AM »

There is a chance she likes her new cage so much she is afraid your going to move her again.  ;D
I've seen this with some of mine. Some will pout like the devil if they don't like it, and pout when they love it.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up