Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my new chin  (Read 2743 times)

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
my new chin
« on: April 10, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »

Hi! My boyfriend and I just joined the website a couple of days ago and we just got our new baby girl about a week and a half ago. We're very very new to the chinchilla world so we definitely have a few questions. For the most part I think olivia (thats our girl) is doing well because shes very active when we take her out of her cage and she has no problem crawling on us and she likes when we chase her with our hands and such. However, whenever we get her back into her cage it seems like she alwaysssss wants to come out and shes very antsy. She constantly flips by the cage entrance and climbs up and down haha its funny, but is this normal?! Also, the only way we seem to be able to get her back into her cage is if we give her some kind of treat. We've been sprinkling oats on top of her food in her bowl and she lovesssss this but she is young, only about 3 months, so is it ok for her to eat oats that often? Also, any bonding tips would be great! Thanks!

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Re: my new chin
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 08:10:38 PM »

Sounds to me like your little chin is throwing a little tantrum about wanting to come out and guess what...... Its normal.  rofl Get use to it . They have these personalities . She sounds very social but I would suggest trying other ways of putting her in the cage without the treats . You might just have to pick her up and put her in . Oats are not the worst thing you could be giving her but as with any treat too much is not a good thing.

When you put her back in expect the fit to be thrown . She might even spray you. That is normal too. Female chins can spray accuately I belive up to 7 or 8 feet.  ;) But really that behavior is all normal . Mine gripe me out sometimes . Its alot of chattering sounds like I am being scolded  :2funny:

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 08:19:48 PM »

thanks! ;) any ideas about some bonding techniques i can try with her? maybe ones that will get her to be more comfortable with me holding her and such?

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 08:30:13 PM »

Just spend time with her . Mine still arent all that comfortable with me just picking them up and holding them but I can if I need to. Get in the floor with her or sit on the couch together . Believe it or not some chins like to watch tv . Mine do but it has to be what they want to watch which is usually cartoon network . I get scolded when I change the channel .

Sometimes I just sit in a chair next to tha cages and talk to them and give them scratches and they love it . It just takes time and patience .

teenyxdoodlez

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 09:32:55 PM »

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:03:56 PM by teenyxdoodlez »

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 04:03:14 PM »

do you think maybe she'll grow out of it and its just a phase? cause she is only about three months old. or will she always be a hyper little girl haha

teenyxdoodlez

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 04:37:43 PM »

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:02:11 PM by teenyxdoodlez »

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 06:34:39 PM »

Try using the dust bath. Tap your fingers on the container and get her use to the sound. When she jumps in put your hand over the hole then let her out into the cage.
Then give her a treat.
She'll soon learn and will be eager to jump in the bath then into her cage as that's when she will get her treat.
I use a timer/or dust bath, and have their treats there waiting for them.
Then they all have their days!!!! ::)
Debbie.nl.ca

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 10:21:15 AM »

thank you Debbie! she is definitely getting used to the sound of her dust bath being tapped because she always runs over and frantically tries to find the entrance haha she is too cute  :)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 08:19:28 AM »

::silly::   You should see how Debbie has her chins trained ... be sure to go to her website!

Yes, most love a dust bath, attention, and treats ... ALMOST as much as they like their freedom out side the cage, so expect the begging ... they are soooo good at it!  They really love that one-on-one attention during free playtime outside of the the cage, but they can be trained (most of them) LOL

::wave::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 09:19:07 AM »

Hehehe
The Truth is they trained themselves.
I had so many that I had to use a timer when I let them out so they all get their share.
So easy to get caught up in the fun, and I'd be rushing through the last few.
I had stools there for them to be getting out on their own.
Well in no time they got used to the sound of the timer going off and knew their treat was waiting for them on the shelf.
They are pretty smart little critters ya know. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up