Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: am I being selfish  (Read 2139 times)

kirby

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
am I being selfish
« on: May 28, 2009, 08:05:52 PM »

Kirby is not doing any better. He is still eating well and chewing on his chew things. But, he is still wet with a runny nose and pulling out his fur. His behavior has gotten very strange over the last two days. He will let us pet him but if we try to pick him up he lunges at us and bites us. The bites do not hurt but he's never done that before. I know he was never a healthy chinchilla so my question is;am I being selfish and prolonging the life of a chinchilla who is miserable? We just love him so much. I wish there was another vet in my area that I could go to for a second opinion. I don't think I trust my vet too much any more. I don't want to give up on him but how do you know when enough is enough? Please post your thoughts.
Liz

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: am I being selfish
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 08:56:14 AM »

::silly::   As a rule, when you don't feel good/are sick/or in sever pain, you don't want to be bothered by others.  I think, he is accepting the petting as love and comforting, but he's just not up to doing the 'normal things' from what you are saying.

You are the one that has to decide when enough is enough.

As long as one is willing to eat and drink, I stick with them.   This is willing to eat, not forced to eat.

As a general rule, if the pain is bad enough that it is obvious to you, then he would probably be bad enough that he would not want to eat.  Not eating or drinking would only add to his pain and suffering.  When they quit eating and drinking, they have given up.

This is a decision I do not envy you ... I have had to make it myself ... go with what your head tells you, because if you go with your heart you will not know when it is.  It's not being selfish, it's just wanting to cling to something/someone you love and not wanting the hurt of missing him to start, or to know the permanence of death.  But, watching him in pain is hurting you more than you realize.  If you let him go, he will be playing in chinnie heaven with my Mocha and many others that have gone before with no more pain or suffering, just playing freely with no restrictions or problems.

:hugs:   Jo Ann
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:59:06 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:07:40 AM »

I have found most chins get very accepting of help when they are sick. If something is wrong with one of mine I seem to be able to handle them much more and they seem eager for me to do so.
They also get this look in their eyes, of pure sadness. I just get a seance with mine.
Maybe he's just telling you he's not so bad and to back off a little, just maybe.
If he's still eating and well, I doubt he's ready yet. Just my opinion.
It's not easy though eh!!! :hugs:
 Got caught up with Jo Ann there that time LOL
Debbie.nl.ca

kirby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 10:12:28 AM »

Kirby seems a little better today. He is only wet under his chin and he does not seem to be pulling out hair. I don't think he wants to die. He is one tough chinchilla! He is a fighter. He is eating and drinking out of his own free will so he must be doing alright. I am very leary about taking him back to the vet. I don't think I want to stress him out by bringing him there. Since he doesn't seem to be pulling out his hair too much any more I think he was doing it because of stress. I am going to try to post some pictures of him so the veteran chinchilla owners can see how he looks. I think the way he looks makes me wonder if I am prolonging an animals life who feels terrible. He looks pretty bad and is stinky but we still love him! What is everyone opinion on having more of his teeth removed if needed? Do I put him through that or put him to rest if his teeth get too bad? I am willing to care for a chin with barely any teeth. I know he would need a special diet and special care. Thank you all for your support. I wish I would have found you all before kirby was in such bad shape.
Liz

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 07:26:40 AM »

::silly::
Kirby seems a little better today. He is only wet under his chin and he does not seem to be pulling out hair. I don't think he wants to die. He is one tough chinchilla! He is a fighter. He is eating and drinking out of his own free will so he must be doing alright.

As long as he is eating and drinking on his own ... he has not given up ... nor should you.   :::grins::   

I think he will let you know when he has given up ... in the mean time ... just give him lots of love and keep things around him calm.  :)

::wave::   Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

kirby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 11:45:50 AM »

I had to take one of my dogs to the vet on Friday and talked to the vet himself (instead of messages from the vet to the vet techs then to me)about Kirby. He said to give him the weekend. He told me to give him some dandylion greens because the fiberous leaves may help get the hair out of his throat if he has some stuck in there. He wants me to call on Monday and if he is worse or the same that I should bring him in and he would have to gas him to check his mouth and remove any hair if there was some stuck in his throat. He didn't think that his teeth would be the problem causing his drooling because they looked good and did not even need to be filed down when he had his cracked tooth pulled. I guess there was an awful lot of hair stuck in his teeth though last time. Kirby seems to not be as crabby (can a chin be labeled as crabby) so I am optimistic. I would be a basket case with out all of your support here on the forum so thank you so much. Where I live there are not many people who have chinchillas as a pet. I don't know any one else who has one.
Liz

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 02:12:24 PM »

::silly::   Don't know what I was thinking ... I use Petromalt for hairballs for my chins ... works wonders!   This is found in the cat/dog section of the pet store.  Comes in a tube ... I give mine some the size of about 1/2 a pea every other month ... unless I catch one chewing ... then it's once a week.   They seem to love the taste of it.   :)

::wave::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1]   Go Up