Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some advice please...  (Read 1861 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Some advice please...
« on: May 18, 2009, 01:21:05 PM »

Our Nibbles who we got when he was 8 weeks old...he's a hyper lil'fella...Not sure if that's the reason...or if he'll never like held. He'll venture onto our hands...but he doesn't want us to pick him up.

Fluffy on the other hand we got when he was 6 weeks old from the breeder. And he's loved being handled from day one. He'll put his paws up on my eyeglass frames and wiggle his nose against mine...and is just full of love...if he hears you come into the room he's at the door for attention...

Nibbles...he'll come for a treat...or will come to climb on a hand...but then he still runs off...I'm wondering should I force holding him? And maybe offer a raisin when he's being held...or would that make him more fearful? I don't want to do the wrong thing with him...we've had him 5 weeks now...Am I expecting to much from him to fast? With having Fluffy as lovable I just am not sure if he'll take longer...or if I need to start handling him and showing him that we won't harm him...or if I am to just expect that he'll never allow us to hold him.  :-\

I'm thinking...after I counted up the weeks...that it may still be to early to expect him to want held...

~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Some advice please...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 10:28:41 AM »

::silly:: 
Our Nibbles who we got when he was 8 weeks old...he's a hyper lil'fella...Not sure if that's the reason...or if he'll never like held. He'll venture onto our hands...but he doesn't want us to pick him up.
All chinchillas have different personalities.  Most chinchillas do not like to be held for any length of time ... they love their freedom.
Where did you bet Nibbles from?  A pet store?  A hobby/small breeder?  A ranch breeder?

Fluffy on the other hand we got when he was 6 weeks old from the breeder. And he's loved being handled from day one. He'll put his paws up on my eyeglass frames and wiggle his nose against mine...and is just full of love...if he hears you come into the room he's at the door for attention...
:::grins::  Fluffy apparently has a much more 'outgoing' personality.   Fluffy is the rarer of the two as chins go ... they all love attention, but Fluffy loves/wants more special one-on-one attention, and knows what to do to get it.   ::)

...I'm wondering should I force holding him?
I think that would just make things worse ... chins are just like children, they do not like to be forced into anything and will rebell more and be more afraid, in my opinion.

we've had him 5 weeks now...Am I expecting to much from him to fast? With having Fluffy as lovable I just am not sure if he'll take longer...or if I need to start handling him and showing him that we won't harm him...or if I am to just expect that he'll never allow us to hold him.   
5 weeks is really not very long ... I would give him some more time and not expect quite as much so fast ... I have only seen 2 chinchillas in over a decade that absolutely refused to allow someone to hold them ... I think the odds are in your favor.   ::nod::

Remember: Most chins like to be the center of attention ... When you play with Fluffy ... make a big fuss over him ... let Nibbles see how much fun and attention you are giving Fluffy ... he may end up with a touch of jealously and become putty in your hands!     :::grins::

::howdythere::   Jo Ann

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 10:30:56 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:14:11 PM »

Where did you bet Nibbles from?  A pet store?  A hobby/small breeder?  A ranch breeder?

A small breeder I guess you would call him. He has 40 chins...shows some and has ribbons to show for it. Here is a link to his website. He's listed I believe in the breeders section of this forum...I do recall seeing his name somewhere here with a list of breeders some place...

http://www.jtchins.com/home.html

Fluffy apparently has a much more 'outgoing' personality.   Fluffy is the rarer of the two as chins go ... they all love attention, but Fluffy loves/wants more special one-on-one attention, and knows what to do to get it.   

I sort of was leaning toward those lines of thinking as well...

...I'm wondering should I force holding him?
I think that would just make things worse ... chins are just like children, they do not like to be forced into anything and will rebell more and be more afraid, in my opinion.

I was sort of thinking that would be your responce...my husband was like..."How will he learn if you don't TEACH him"...So I was second guessing what I already knew...thanks for reassuring me.

5 weeks is really not very long ... I would give him some more time and not expect quite as much so fast ... I have only seen 2 chinchillas in over a decade that absolutely refused to allow someone to hold them ... I think the odds are in your favor.   

Remember: Most chins like to be the center of attention ... When you play with Fluffy ... make a big fuss over him ... let Nibbles see how much fun and attention you are giving Fluffy ... he may end up with a touch of jealously and become putty in your hands!     

OK...See I was afraid if he seen us giving Fluffy attention he would be jealous and maybe start fighting with him. But since you say it's alright...I won't feel guilty handling Fluffy and having him see us do so.

Thanks again for your advice...It's so much appreciated.
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 12:37:11 PM »

::silly:: 

OK...See I was afraid if he seen us giving Fluffy attention he would be jealous and maybe start fighting with him. But since you say it's alright...I won't feel guilty handling Fluffy and having him see us do so.Thanks again for your advice...It's so much appreciated.

Remember: Most chins like to be the center of attention ... When you play with Fluffy ... make a big fuss over him ... let Nibbles see how much fun and attention you are giving Fluffy ... he may end up with a touch of jealously and become putty in your hands!     :::grins::   

:oops:   Remember the phrase "he may" ... that is a possibility ... your statement may also be true. 
There are three possibilities ... Nibbles may ...
(1) get jealous and want some attention also, because he wants to have fun and start letting you play with him.
(2) get jealous and fight Fluffy.
(3) just ignore the fun Fluffy is having with you and do nothing.

Always make sure you let Nibbles out to "join in" on the fun and ... should Nibbles seem to want some extra attention ... give it to him, to show you love him, too.  There is always a chance something bad could happen and always a chance something good will happen.   

No rules are set in stone ... each chins has their own personality and likes to have things their way ... with any living thing ... anything can happen ... you just have to hope it is for the good and keep a close eye out, just encase it is not.

::highfive::   Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:51:36 PM »

OK Jo Ann...I see...I'll just keep a close eye on him and do as you suggested. ;)
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up