Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: drooling chinchilla  (Read 6071 times)

kirby

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
drooling chinchilla
« on: May 20, 2009, 06:18:06 PM »

I do not know how forums work,I've never used one before. I hope someone will get this posting and be able to help me. We got our chinchilla about 2 years ago at our local humane society. He was said to be about 4 years old at the time. Ever since we got him he has had problems with drooling. We have taken him to the vet many times. He has been on antibiotics, had x-rays,and he even has had his teeth filed down and some rotten ones removed. He always ends up still drooling. He has never been a chewer. (We had a chinchilla before and she chewed everything) We have tried lava stones, mineral wheels,wooden blocks and sticks, basically everything you can find for a chinchilla to chew, and he does not like any of it. He also does not eat his hay. We feed him Kaytee chinchilla fiesta. Has any one had problems like this with their chinchilla or have any suggestions? We love him dearly and want him to be better.
Liz

eringoesmoo

• Appreciation points: 2
  • RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
Re: drooling chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »

I'm not sure what to tell you as far as the drooling goes. Is it maloclusion(sp?), but I can tell you that it'd be best for you to switch him over to some food other than the Kaytee Fiesta. It's not good for their digestive system. I'd recommend Mazuri.

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 06:39:31 PM »

I agree you need to switch his feed...You'll learn that chinchilla food may state for chinchillas...but it's very much like junk food in animal form. I seen it also had nuts...which isn't good for chinchillas.[That is if this is the food your feeding that I'm adding a link for]

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12690

I tossed several "chinchilla" based items out in the trash that my husband picked up...after learning things that may state are for chinchillas...aren't...So don't feel bad about it. Think of it this way...if you had a bowl of candy and a plate of broccoli...which would a child choose. Thus same difference...he's not interested in the hay due to the treats that he gets from his food.

I honestly think...if you switch his food...he'll eventually enjoy his hay.  But I'm not sure how you should go about it...Mixing the two I would think...but if he's only eating the goodies in the food...how can one get them to eat the healthier pellets...but to do it flat out...so my question to others...how would they go about changing food...changing straight to the other...or mixing it for so long and gradually switching over to the other?

~Darlene

kirby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 07:57:57 PM »

Thank you everyone for all of your input! The first thing I'm going to do is switch his food. He does only pick the treats out of the fiesta and leave the pellets. So Drs. Foster and Smith is the place to get food for my chin?
Liz

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:21:48 AM »

It's so sad to hear that one of our little darlings has malocclusion.
Some can do very well with trims and syringe feedings and the like, but some can't cope.
If he's had teeth pulled they must have been pretty bad, I've only heard of 1 here every having teeth pulled. It will cause him to chew differently and effect his other teeth.The others will continue to grow but with some missing, he will surly end up with points & spurs. These can cause laserations to the cheeks and tongue, making it very difficult for him to chew.
There are several causes like stress, injury, and heredity.
If you can get it under control he will still need 2-3 trims per year. A period of recovery, when he may require force feeding & antibiotics.
I found the homemade pediolite the best for maloccluders as the salt in the water seem to help with mouth soars.
Give him a second water bottle with 1 cup of boiled water, 1/4 teaspoon of salt & 1 teaspoon of sugar. Chill it in the fridge and place in the second water bottle.
When giving antibiotics give him some yogurt as well, this will replace the good bacteria in the gut that the meds will distroy.
Jo Ann can put it all better than I can, and I'm sure she will respond.
The Truth is it's not going to be fun for either of you and you should prepare yourself for the worst.
I know some chins can live long lives but the average is 10 years or so. I had to decide with mine how long I could keep putting him through this.I did it for 6 years when I and he felt enough was enough. At the age of 12 I had him put down.
He will always be my hero chinchilla and remains fresh in my mind all the time.
Do keep us posted on how he's doing.
My heart go out to you & and you little fur ball. It can be so heart breaking when they are ill. :hugs:
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 11:17:01 AM »

::silly::  Hi Kirby!   Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum and to the Wonderful World of Chinchillas!

The URL cadillactaste listed is not to tell you where to go for your chinchilla food, but was to ask you if the food pictured there is what you are giving your chinchilla.   :)

There are many places to get chinchilla food that is good for your chinchilla.  Personally, I recommend the one Ralph and Barbara Shoots offer on their site:  (http://www.shootschinchilla.com/miscellaneous-for-sale.htm) , Traditions Chinchilla Diet (http://www.chinchillas.com/estore/detail.aspx?ID=1) [there are other websites that also offer Traditions also], Oxbow Chinchilla Diet (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16624  ON Line shopping) OR check for a store/vet in your area that carries Oxbow Chinchilla Products at: http://oxbowanimalhealth.com/contact/find_products OR Mazuri Chinchilla Diet (https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=2&Opening=2) OR Mazuri can sometimes be found in the better pet stores and in some WalMarts. ...
The order I have them listed is the personal preference in which I would want to use them.   I'm very picky my little ones get the best I can give them, so anything I recommend I would use for my own little ones.   :::grins::

... We got our chinchilla about 2 years ago at our local humane society. He was said to be about 4 years old at the time. Ever since we got him he has had problems with drooling. We have taken him to the vet many times. He has been on antibiotics, had x-rays,and he even has had his teeth filed down and some rotten ones removed. He always ends up still drooling. He has never been a chewer. (We had a chinchilla before and she chewed everything) We have tried lava stones, mineral wheels,wooden blocks and sticks, basically everything you can find for a chinchilla to chew, and he does not like any of it. He also does not eat his hay. We feed him Kaytee chinchilla fiesta. Has any one had problems like this with their chinchilla or have any suggestions? We love him dearly and want him to be better.

Bless you for taking this little chin into your home to care for it.   :)   But, I hate to be the one to tell you ... More than likely the former owner did not take proper care of this little one and once they discovered he had tooth problems (malocclusion), they also found out how much it would cost to keep him and decided they did not want to put out that kind of money and dropped him off at the local humane society.    :flames: {The former owners did not deserve to have the honor of having such a precious little one.}

A chinchilla with tooth problems as severe as you list, has problems that will probably never go away.  This will be an uphill battle for the rest of his life.  Even with a good chinchilla diet, there will be certain things that you will probably need to do.  

#1) Change the chinchilla pellet brand a.s.a.p. to one that does not have treats in it.   Your little one is not only eating the treat part of the food you are giving him now because it  'tastes better' ... but also because it is softer.  When a little one has the tooth problems yours has, it's gums and teeth stay sore and tender.  If you have ever had a cracked tooth, a sensitive tooth or something stuck between your teeth ... you know how that hurts and you know you would not want to try to eat something hard, because it would make it hurt worse.   Sooooo ... you will probably have to grind the pellets to dust, then add just enough water, yogurt or goat's milk or pedialyte to it to be able to form little balls [about the size of raisins] and give it to him to eat.  If you make several, just store the extra ones in an airtight container in the refrigerator and take them out as needed.

#2)  He needs the nutrients from the hay ... you can also grind them in a food processor or blender and add that to the pellet mix OR make separate little raisin-sized footballs of the hay to give to him.

#3)  The vet might recommend Critical Care for your little one.  I make my own 'critical care' by putting the alfalfa hay, a good grade of chinchilla pellets, and natural oats (from a farm store) in the blender to pulverize it, {do not remove the lid until it has all fallen to the bottom of the container or you will have a green cloud of chinfood in your kitchen  :D } allow it to cool first and then, add acidophilus .... just be sure to refrigerate the acidophilus bottle after opening ... and the homemade 'critical-care'.  

#4) Treats that are good for him and will help him are: dried papaya, dried rose hips, a nibble or two of a fresh banana or fresh kiwi or fresh papaya (fresh - not canned).

#5) He need calcium for his teeth ... a cuttle bone [found in the bird part of the pet store] can be used ... just break off pieces that he can hold in his hand ... if he refuses these, I would add a little to the mix above in the blender before adding the acidophilus.

#6) If he will not use the wood chew sticks ... use Popsicle sticks with yogurt or a tiny bit of Nutri-Cal [in the dog and cat section of the pet store] smeared on one end of it.  Do not use very much ... Nutri-Cal has lots of vitamins in it, but it also has lots of sugar in it ... use only a tiny bit of it.

Keep us posted on how things go!

::wave::   Jo Ann

P. S.  I see Debbie and I were posting and looking up things at the same time, so I may have repeated some of the same advice .    rofl
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:24:49 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

kirby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 02:55:32 PM »

Thank you guys for being so supportive and for all the information! That food on the link to Dr's. fosters and smith is the stuff i have been feeding him. I live in a small town in Wisconsin so there are no other chinchilla foods available in our stores here. I have no problem ordering food for him on line though so thanks for the links and names of foods. I had a hard time finding a vet that would see our chinchilla. Our vet did say that he had spurs and sharp points in his mouth. Now here is another question, When we had his teeth filed and the 2 pulled he had to be put completely asleep. Is this what has to be done for every tooth trim? He did not come out from the anesthesia very easily. Also do you think he is in pain from his teeth?
Liz

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 03:21:39 PM »

::silly::  Yes, he is probably in pain ... but he may have adjusted to much of the pain and has learned to ignore it ... since it has been a long term situation.    Does he have to be put to sleep each time?  That's a question you would have to ask the vet ... allot will depend on exactly what has to be done each time.   If he says yes, just make sure you remind him about not using as much meds to put him to sleep the next time.

Personally, as long as one has the fight to live and is willing to eat the special stuff ... I believe in sticking with him and giving him all the support he needs ... BUT ... when he seems to have given up and quits even trying to eat ... he is probably in to much pain and you would need to consider letting him go to chinnie heaven.  It's a hard choice, but, one that sometimes just has to be made.  You will know ... when the time comes.   :hugs:

We have a special little chin and his name is Toofie, because he was born with only two teeth and never grew any other ones in ... he has just the lower two front teeth ... his teeth have to be clipped weekly, so that they do not go into his nose while trying to eat.  Since they are front teeth and just need to be clipped, he does not have to be put to sleep.  Toofie does not seem to be in pain and is well adjusted ... he's almost 5 years old now and we love him dearly ... but if there comes a time when he has to leave us, that will be a very hard decision I have to, but will, make.

|hugs|  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 03:27:46 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 09:04:47 AM »

Is this what has to be done for every tooth trim?

Like Jo Ann said it depends on the vet, the chin and the teeth.
Cody got so used to it over 6 years that we didn't have to put him to sleep after the first time.
I'd swear he could tell me when it was time for a trim,the tech would towel wrap him and the vet would trim.
The last few years just got so routine. In the end it was Cody who decided enough was enough.
Debbie.nl.ca

kirby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 12:13:27 PM »

So I took my chinchilla, Kirby, into the vet today. He had a cracked tooth which also had hair inside of the cracked part. The vet said the rest of his teeth look great and did not need to be filed down. Hopefully, he will be good. I went and bought him a cuttle bone so I'm hopeful that with the calcium from the cuttle bone and a better food that his health will be better. Maybe his tooth cracked because he did not have enough calcium in his diet. I'll keep you all posted with how he's doing.  Thanks
Liz

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 04:55:36 PM »

What a good checkup! Glad to hear his teeth other than the one you inicially went to the vet's for got a good check up. I wonder if your chin will be like our bulldogs. When we switched to diet perscription dog food. They pouted and refused food for the first meal... ::) Though hungry enough...they did eat.
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up