Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: traveling with my chins  (Read 2099 times)

amhearn

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
traveling with my chins
« on: June 14, 2009, 09:51:23 PM »

Hello all! I am new to this forum :)

I have two female chinchillas that about two and a half years old. Next month I am moving from Idaho to Texas and my chins will have to ride cross country with me in the car. Does anyone have any advice on how to make this the smoothest transition for them? I also don't know what type of cage will best for them. Their current cage is far too big for my car, so I'll need something that they can stay in for about 3 days straight. I saw a cage at my local pet shop that was about 2ft long, 1.5 ft deep and 1.5 feet high... but the bars were 1" x .5" and that concerns me.

Any advice is much appreciated! thanks!

Anna-Marie

amhearn

• View Profile
Re: traveling with my chins
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »

whoops! I meant to say that the cage I saw had bars that were 1" x 1"

sorry!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:55:54 AM »

A large dog carrier/'s would do. I 'd go for something more covered than their regular cage. They won't get as stressed if they don't see as much around them.
And what ever you decide to use get them used to it first. Let them play in it before you move.
Debbie.nl.ca

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 08:41:16 AM »

Hi,
We drove from Alaska to WI and my two chins were in their cages. But you have already said that their cage wont fit in your car. My chins did real good on the way down. I think there was only one night we brought them into the hotel with us. My brother had made a cage in the back of our mini van for our dogs and the cats to stay in. The chins cages were on both sides of the sliding doors in the mini van. I had their sheets covering up some of their cages but they did really good.
Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 09:43:27 AM »

::silly::   Some chins get stressed from traveling while others seem to enjoy it.  For those who seem to stress by travel, the more enclosed it is, the more secure they seem to feel.  In the wild they are use to hiding in cracks and between rocks ... a cardboard box (Kleenex Tissue Box) in a cat or dog carrier would probably be best ... unless you have a way to attach their hut to the inside of the carrier.  The cardboard box is a safety factor ... it weighs little and would be least likely to injure your chin if jolted about.

Chins that like travel are rare ... but the ones that do really seem to love it.   We've had a couple that have ridden on Bill's shoulder on long trips watching the scenery and would go back into their cages for stops only.

Just keep in mind to plan to do drive ins only when it comes to eating ... OR ... plan on leaving the car running with the air conditioning going while you go inside ... inside car temperatures can go from 70 to 120 in less than 15 minutes. 

Take along a chest of ice (not the plug in ones that run on electricity ... if you break down, it won't work long) and have several mason jars filled with ice inside (or empty mason jars that can be filled with ice) to keep your little one cool should your car break down.   You can withstand the heat much longer and better than they can.

Take along a large plastic bag or sheet to place under the cage when you take your little ones inside the room for the night ... this way, you will not leave a mess for the hotel to be able to charge you extra for on your bill.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann

P.S.  At 2 and 1/2 years old, your chins should be large enough to be safe in a cat or dog carrier even with the bars being 1 inch square.   ::nod::
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:47:51 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

amhearn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 12:37:24 PM »

thanks so much for the help! now I feel like I can look forward to the trip and not worry so much about them!

Anna-Marie

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 06:10:50 AM »

not the plug in ones that run on electricity ... if you break down, it won't work long

Good one Jo Ann I never thought about that, breaking down!!!!! Gee in the summer time that could be serious.

I have several that love going in the car.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up