Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No stoneware litter box...money refunded  (Read 2000 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
No stoneware litter box...money refunded
« on: June 21, 2009, 04:25:07 PM »

Those may remember my getting in contact with a woman who has a site with ceramic items for ferrets. She was going to make me a custom litter box for the corner out of stoneware...It seemed like several things came up where it wasn't being made. But...I was just happy that she was attempting to try...so I was fine with that...things can come up don't we all know it.

But I was refunded my money today...she was having difficulty with the stoneware cracking in the kiln...She is contacting the company of the stoneware product she purchased...to see why it is happening. But since it's drug out for so long...I was refunded...and she'll contact me if she figures out a way to make these litter boxes of stoneware.

~Darlene

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: No stoneware litter box...money refunded
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 07:46:16 AM »

Hmmm I wonder if the chins would chew it up anyway??????

I have several females that have crumbled clay flower pots, so I have stopped using them for summer cooling.
I go with the ceramic tiles, they don't seem to even try with the finished glaze.
If the stone ware was finished it may work, stainless steel seems to be the best.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01:56:35 PM »

Can ceramic pots cause harm if they ingest too much?

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »

Hmmm I wonder if the chins would chew it up anyway??????

I have several females that have crumbled clay flower pots, so I have stopped using them for summer cooling.
I go with the ceramic tiles, they don't seem to even try with the finished glaze.
If the stone ware was finished it may work, stainless steel seems to be the best.

It was to have a finished glaze on it...I have a glass loaf pan currently...they seem fine with it. Stainless steel eh? Hm-mm something to think about.

I have those chin chillers you pick up at the pet stores to help cool them down.
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 01:06:53 PM »

::silly::  Mine do good with the glazed ceramic dishes (even Cotton & his family).   Cotton is my Chinchilla "Head of the Metal Department"  here.    :D

I haven't tried the clay pots, but know some who do and they seem fine with them ... of course they do not have a chin like my Cotton - he can chew an aluminum 1/4" rod in half twice in 8 hours (over night)  and ruin any ideas of using aluminum trays ... he makes them look like kitchen knives with serrated blades.  Some chins are just more active chewers than most.

I have marble tiles I use for mine ... wish I'd gotten the granite ones, but the marble was so pretty and I got a super deal on them.   {granite is thicker and marble breaks easier}

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

PS Just added the picture of the tray I have another one that shows a 1/4" aluminum rod that he also chewed in half.   This was all done in one night.   :o
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:44:05 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 09:01:33 AM »

Yes I do remember seeing some pics of chins chewing metal, they must have been yours Jo Ann. ::)
And out of all the chins I have ever had only a couple of females chewed up the flower pots.
I was shocked when I went to their room one day and saw it half gone. There was a pile of crumbs so I'm not sure how much if any was eaten. ::shrug::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up