Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help my male turned out to be a female  (Read 1149 times)

ChinchandChilla

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Help my male turned out to be a female
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:40:38 AM »

A year ago I got my first chinchilla, a male, and a few months ago I got another because I wanted him to have a companion. Turns out that the chinchilla that the store assured me was a male was actually a female. So now I have a male and female who are genuinely attached and I fear that separating them even into separate cages might break their hearts. My current situation is also not optimal as both me and my bf are currently without jobs and so don't have much money in order to set up a whole new cage as the one we have now (equipt with large metal wheel, hammock, ledges, and toys). I'm seeking any kind of advice on what living situation would be best for them and things I should know now in having an opposite sex pair. I've read that it is really dangerous for a chinchilla to be neutured/spayed. Is this really true? I couldn't bear it if anything were to happen to them. Is it dangerous to keep them together now as I don't know exactly how old she is but I think she is young maybe 5-7 months and many people write that a female shouldn't be bred until she's a year old. Is it possible just to separate them when the female is in heat to reduce the risk of her getting pregnant? I mean it wouldn't be the end of the world if she did get pregnant but I'm not sure I could support it if she kept getting pregnant several times. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Help my male turned out to be a female
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 02:42:57 PM »

You'll have to separate them, don't even let them play together or your going to get kits.She's still too young, I don't breed females until they are 12 months, though some do at 8.
You have to have a second cage anyway as she will go in heat again as soon as she delivers and he will have to be removed for at least 5 days. Letting her breed back to back like that is not good for her health.
You could find a new home for one of the???
It's a hard spot, sorry you lost your jobs. :(

Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Help my male turned out to be a female
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:35:37 AM »

::silly::
  ... my first chinchilla, a male ... I wanted him to have a companion. ... a few months ago ... store assured me was a male was actually a female. ... she is young maybe 5-7 months ... I fear that separating them even into separate cages might break their hearts. ....
She could easily already be pregnant.  But it is not the emotional heart break that you should be the most concerned about at this time ... it's the physical complications that you need to be concerned about.  She is not mature enough to be having kits and may not be able to deliver the kits naturally and could die trying.
so don't have much money in order to set up a whole new cage as the one we have now (equipt with large metal wheel, hammock, ledges, and toys).
The necessary cage does not have to be full of extras.
I've read that it is really dangerous for a chinchilla to be neutured/spayed. Is this really true?
Yes, especially since they have a tendency not to do well with any surgery ... even less of a chance if vet has not preformed many, many of these on chinchillas and knows what he is doing.  Also, the spaying or neutering is allot more in cost than a second cage.
... Is it dangerous to keep them together now ...
(Like Debbie said.) Yes, it is dangerous to even let them play together.  It has been dangerous ever since the female turned 3 1/2 months old.  It only takes 15 to 30 seconds to get a female chinchilla pregnant.
I mean it wouldn't be the end of the world if she did get pregnant but I'm not sure I could support it if she kept getting pregnant several times.
It might be the end of her world.

I do not mean to sound hateful ...It is not your fault that the pet store employee did not know what she/he was doing ... but ... now that you know she is a female ... it is up to you to do what is best for her.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up