Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which color mutation?  (Read 2679 times)

chachin

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Which color mutation?
« on: July 23, 2009, 09:23:04 PM »

I recently acquired a new chin.  I was told it was a white chin, but I am not so sure.  The chin has dark eyes.  It is uniformly white, but has a sheen that seems to cast a beige tint.  However, it appears much lighter than the pictures of a homozygous beige that I have seen.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Which color mutation?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:44:29 AM »

::silly::  Do you know the background of the chin and it's parents background?  What color are the parents and grand parents?

The chin has dark eyes.  It is uniformly white, but has a sheen that seems to cast a beige tint.

Dark eyes as in dark red or dark pink or black?

Can you post a picture, please?

Are it's ears pink or gray?  Are the pads of it's feet pink or gray or black?

::wave::  Jo Ann

PS If you have what is commonly know as a "pink white" (actually a beige/white cross), it is considered to be in the "white family" of the mutation colors ... the hint of beige could be the beige in the family background.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:49:21 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chachin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 06:07:09 PM »

To the best of my knowledge one parent was white.  I am not sure about the other.  The pads are pink.  The eyes appear dark gray.  The ears do not appear darker--like the Wilson Whites.  They seem the same color as the body--including the belly.  I will need to manipulate a picture.  Apparently the ones I have are too large to attach directly to this reply.  Thanks-

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 07:04:43 AM »

::silly::  If one of the grandparents was a white, specifically a pink white (white/beige cross), then this is were she is getting the white and the beige in her background.

Beige chinchillas normally have pink ears and pink pads on their feet and have eyes that can be from a light pink to a dark red.  I have never seen a beige with dark gray or black eyes ... UNLESS there is an ebony in the family background.  If this is the case, you have an extremely light tan chinchilla, often referred to as a pastel.  BUT you would have to find the ebony in the background to be able to say it is a tan or a pastel.   This is one of the places family history is so important!

This is also the mess you end up with when you cross mutations, especially with an ebony.  You end up with kits that you can not tell what color they really are ... genetically ... and ... some look like a washed out version of what it should have been. 

When you have a chinchilla as a pet/family member and do not breed it ... the color should not matter ... they are all loveable, cute and sweet.  But, when you breed everything counts ... from the color/hue of the fur, to the thickness of the fur, to the big blocky bone structure, to a healthy medical background.  If this was taken into consideration with every kit that is born, there would be very few chinchillas that would die early in life, or have to suffer unnecessarily and/or be sickly.

If you read much of the posts here and in articles in the Chinchilla Club Magazines, you will see where I harp on not breeding pet store chinchillas and to introduce a good blocky pure standard gray back into the line about every 2nd or 3rd generation.  Note I said Pure Standard Gray.  A pure standard gray is one who has no other colors in it's background as far back as you can go.  These are getting harder and harder to find.  You will see lots of standard grays that come from parents where one or both of the parents are are mutations ... this is not a pure standard gray.  These standard grays are carrying mutation genes that can (and usually do) show up in future generations.

::wave::    Jo Ann
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 07:17:00 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chachin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 06:15:32 PM »

Thanks for the information.  The chinchilla is a pet and will remain that way.  I was simply curious to the color mutation.  It amazes me how many mutations there are and the variances amongst them.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »

It amazes me how many mutations there are and the variances amongst them.

Yes I tell you  ::nod:: it's a job   ::pull hair:: getting to know them all, and unless you know the back grounds the only other way would be genetic testing.  ::)A little pricey just to find out what color they really are, but the colors can look that close.
As Jo Ann has said their are differences between most of them, like pink ears for pink whites, & black ears for white mosaics.
what's that horse one, " is it a black horse with white spots or a white horse with black spots"? Very important when it comes to breeding though.

Would love to see the pics of you little darling, just make them smaller and attach.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up