Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eco Straw Anyone?  (Read 1552 times)

Annick

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Eco Straw Anyone?
« on: August 18, 2009, 01:20:53 AM »

Hi there,

I went to the local small petshop here and noticed they just recieved a new type of bedding for small animals called Eco Straw by Oxbow.  It's in pellet form and says it's made from 100% wheat.  I was wondering if anyone has ever tried it.  I bought a bag was a lot pricier then my wood pellets that I use.  But I would like to switch their bedding as when the wood pellets get wet they fall apart and they end up carrying it everywhere on their hammocks on their shelves.  I always have to sweep up the sawdust.  However they never showed any interest in eating their wood pellet bedding.  I have tried yesterday's news but they appear to gorge themselves on it.  I'm now trying out this wheat bedding and so far so good.  Has an odd smell I can't really explain it but it's not horrible.  They do however eat it.  I'm sure it's only because its' brand new in their cage and they'll probably be bored of chewing on it.  On the bag it does say that if they eat it, its' safe cause its' wheat and it can help them digest their foods.  I was wondering what any of you think?  Or if you've tried this type of bedding before?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Eco Straw Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 05:46:48 AM »

::silly::  This is the first I have heard of it.   ::shrug::

Doing some research (asking some one that knows more  ::nod:: ) and will get back when I hear from them. 

::wave::   Jo Ann

...wood pellets that I use...

Wood pellets will swell when they get wet ... you said your chins do not eat them, but some might, if a chinchilla were to eat very many of them, it could cause major problems.  I bought the wood pellets one time ... noticed it said to put a little moisture on them to expand them and decided I didn't really want them 'expanding' the my chin's tummy, so I tossed the whole bag.  Just my thoughts.
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Annick

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:55:07 AM »

Yeah thanks for the heads up Jo Ann, that's another reason also why I'd like to change their bedding just in case.  The wheat bedding seems kinda cool.  It said on the box that it would seperate when wet "so it's easy to scoop," which kinda made me skeptical, like"mmm seperate... like the wood pellets seperate?"  But it doesn't really seperate like that at all.  Kinda just turns into a mushy paddy.  Which is alright they can't seem to kick it around and it is easier to spot the wet spots in their litter pans to scoop away.  Today is the second day on this Eco Straw and so far i'm pretty impressed.  It kinda smells like honey or some sort of granola bar when its' wet.   rofl

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:16:41 AM »

::silly::  Here's the report I got back from Lani on the Eco Bedding ... "The Oxbow product made from straw seems to be OK as bedding (for chinchillas) or kitty litter. I had a rescue come in with a bag of it for her potty tray."

NEW PRODUCT WARNING: "The one product that is hitting the market COCO bedding made from cocoa mulch is bad news. If dogs eat it, they could die. The garden mulch product made from it, has killed dogs ... Lani"

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up