Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help with a chinchilla I have had about 6 months please.  (Read 2439 times)

jennaanne

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I need help with a chinchilla I have had about 6 months please.
« on: September 25, 2009, 12:12:35 AM »

I got Jenna Anne and her mom about six months ago, or at least that is what I was told.   Jenna Anne turned out to be male and so did her mom, after I looked at a site on sexing.  Jenna Anne and the other chinchilla get along fine, but Jenna Anne has started what appears to be leaking urine.  His belly is yellow from urine and he is swollen under his privates the size of a nickel, but round, and kind of bumpy looking.  I have cleaned him very well and continue to give him extra dust.  My husband and I even washed him under the sink half way down his little body after getting advice from another chin owner.  It took me two hours nearly to dry him with a cool air blow dryer.  Jenna Anne plays, jumps, eats well...has good food, timothy hay, timothy hay shaped like pretzels, dandelion drops, wood sticks, pumice and lava to chew on, loves his dust bath, eyes are clear...No problems at all until he started leaking urine.  The swelling is not going away and neither is the leaking urine and I do not know what to do.  It has been about three weeks with no changes.  Please let me know what is going on with Jenna Anne if anyone knows what the problem is, or what to do.  I live in a very small town and no vet that works with chinchillas...horses, cows, dogs and cats only...no exotics.  Please help!!!!!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: I need help with a chinchilla I have had about 6 months please.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 08:36:29 AM »

::silly::  Can you post a picture, please?

I first thought, from what you are saying, it sounds like he may have a fur ring, it still could be, depending on exactly where the swelling is.  Fur rings must be removed ... this is easy, once you know what you are doing, but very difficult the first time or two you try it.  If you have no exotic pet vet in your area that is familiar with chinchillas, you need to find a regular vet and ask if they know how to remove a fur ring on a small male animal.  (It would be great if they have worked with chinchillas, but with a fur ring, it's not a must.) 

Is his penis completely retracted, or is it staying extended past where it should be normally?  Is the penis red or swollen?

Then I went over it again ... are you saying he has a "bump" or knot between his penis and his genitals or between his genitals and his anus or between his anus and the base of his tail?

The area that is swollen, is the skin inflamed/darker pink or red and/or is it warmer to the touch than the rest of the chin?

Leaking urine constantly can cause all kinds of problems and is not healthy, you really need to take him to see veterinarian. a.s.a.p.  Even if they are not familiar with chinchillas, but are familiar with small furry animals.   ::nod::  Some care the vet may be able to give your little one is much better than none. 

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: I need help with a chinchilla I have had about 6 months please.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:53:12 PM »

It's so hard to picture
he is swollen under his privates the size of a nickel, but round, and kind of bumpy looking.

Not his testicles your looking at is it?????

He could have a hair ring,that would cause him to leak, and yes I agree any vet is better than neither.
A don't suppose you could get a picture of this swollen area?
Got me curious now. See something new everyday. ::think::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up