Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: crazy loud wheel!  (Read 8558 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: crazy loud wheel!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »

Thanks Jo Ann!  ::silly:: so the wood would go on the inside of the cage? Would you be able to post a picture?

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 11:23:25 AM »

so, i ordered the silent wheel off ebay last thursday. we're waiting patiently, it still hasnt come yet!  ::shrug:: i cant wait for some possible silence at night though hehe  ::) will let everyone know how it is when it arrives!

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 11:59:02 AM »

That's great!  I hope you enjoy it!  All I ever hear the pitter pat of their feet on the steel.  That is totally fine!  Atleast I don't wake up in the night thinking someone is pounding on my front door anymore!  Be sure to let us know how you like it!  The roller blade wheel for the axel is just brilliant!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 02:18:48 PM »

We got our wheel from valley view chinchillas.  They use a wire mesh (cage quality) on theres.  Works well and they don't get caught in it at all.  Use a small dab of vegi oil on the bearing if it starts getting loud.  Also, if you cage is near a wall, you can insulate the sound by putting an old bed pillow between the wall and the cage.  Just make sure they cannot eat it, should help dampen the vibrations.   ;)

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 05:07:12 PM »

our wheel came today. its so quiet! they are still scoping it out but we'll see how they like it tonight :)

cusunfireguy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 06:16:39 PM »

Awesome!  Glad you got it.  The guy that makes them is a genius!

Steven

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 04:25:02 PM »

It is very sturdy.  He makes it with a central "rollerblade wheel" for the axel so it's super quiet.  The only thing you hear is their feet on the metal.  It has 2 cross bars that atattch to the cage with 4 washers and wing nuts.  I have to say, I went thru about 6 different wheels before I found this one.  It is like 16 inches, pretty big, it does not have anything in the middle to hit them in the back, there is no plastic, and boy can they build up some speed in that sucker!!!  I don't think you will be disappointed.  It has saved my sanity for sure cause my female and babies just go to town in it.  My old ones were so loud I would wake up in the middle of the night thinking someone was knocking on my front door.  I have had mine for about 7 months now and it works just as it did out of the box.  For a hand made wheel, I thought $38.99 was very fair.  If you get one, let me know how you like it.  I just love mine and so do the chinchillas!

Considering how expensive wheels are, I wish I had found this one right away.  Below is a copy & paste of the description:

NEW SILENT BEARING SYSTEM
16 INCHES IN DIAMETER WITH A 4 INCH SOLID RUNNING PATH
NO SHARP EDGES TO INJURE YOUR PET

CROSSBAR FREE TO PROTECT TAILS AND FEET
LATHE SPUN STEEL AND TECTURED FOR TRACTION
VERY EASY TO CLEAN
COMPLETELY MAINTENANCE FREE BEARINGS
RUST FREE COATING ON ALL PARTS
EASILY MOUNTS ON ANY WIRE CAGE
OILED WITH USDA APPROVED FOOD GRADE BEARING OIL FOR YOUR PETS SAFETY
NO PLASTIC ANYWHERE ON THIS WHEEL!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you looking for a SAFE wheel for your chinchilla or rat?  Please consider a plastic free aluminum wheel. This type of wheel has been used by the chinchilla community for a number of years. They also work great for large rats!

My wheels are made out of a high quality steet pan with a 4 inch running path.  I use maintenance free bearings that will last forever!  My wheels can easily be mounted inside of any wire or mesh cage with a bar size of less than 1 inch with the included hardware.  No tools required!  You will need a cage height and width of 17” to install this wheel.

That's a nice looking wheel. Great find...thanks for sharing!
~Darlene

bloominhedgehogs

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 12:30:42 PM »

Hi!  The guy that makes them.....is actually a woman!  :)  I appreciate the compliments!  I couldn't stand the sound of the wheel with the lazy susan bearings so I just changed things up a bit until I found what I liked.  I made one for a friends chins and she suggested that I sell them.  My boys would wheel constantly if they didn't have to sleep or eat.  I will offer a 10% discount to all Chinchilla Club members.  Just email me before you pay and I will adjust your invoice.  This includes anyone that has purchased within the last 3 months.  :)  Tina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 01:12:03 PM »

::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly::  I see this is your first post ... Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum!   ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly::

We always love to see new faces!

Would you like for Jamie ("Chinclub", owner of the site) to add your wheel to the section we have for commenting on a product?  If it's a yes ... please let her know and send her a picture of the wheel, along with a detailed description, please. 

::howdythere::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 01:30:40 PM »

oh its really nice to see you on chin club! i actually just purchased your wheel about three weeks ago, my two boys loveeeee it! and so do my boyfriend and i :) it's much easier to sleep at night! I ordered on ebay with my boyfriend's dad's account, which is rockaway26. :)

bloominhedgehogs

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 02:12:38 PM »

I do a lot of reading, but not a lot of posting.  I've been on other boards and got tired of some of the childishness.  So I took a break from posting on any boards.  I love to read them and look at pictures though!  I have two boys.  There names are Kenny and Templeton.  They are rescue chins from a research lab in Virginia.  We have had them for almost 3 years now.   Kenny is missing part of his leg, but gets around as if he never lost it.  Templeton is very protective over Kenny and I think it is partly because of the injury. 

cusunfireguy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 05:55:30 AM »

Welcome bloomindedgehogs!  I'm so glad you decided to join.  I am the one that recommended the wheel to people here.  I have had mine from you now for about 6 months and it is working fantastic.  My chins give it a good work out too!  I can't thank you enough for your talent and hospitality.  My old wheel was so bad it sounded like someone was pounding on my front door.  Your wheel is a lifesaver and gives me piece of mind knowing that it's safe and my chins won't hit their back.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Steven :D

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 05:32:13 PM »

I have a chin spin from Quality Cages. It uses a roller blade bearing, so it's super quiet... the noise comes from the CAGE rattling while chin is running.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 01:35:29 AM »

Hi!  The guy that makes them.....is actually a woman!
    ;D  Good one

Welcome to the boards.  ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »

Welcome to the board. Down the road I plan on buying your wheel. Mine is just too loud.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up