Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chinny #2  (Read 998 times)

reuben2009

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
chinny #2
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »

I've been talking with a breeder in the area about getting a second chin, i just wanted to get some input before i commit 100%. i've had "reuby" since october and i've been doing my reading, and since they are quite social, they like friends. I would love to get him a cage mate and i have a baby waiting for me! but i just want to make sure i wont be totally upsetting reuben. Will he be jealous and mean to his new friend or will this work out and they will get along great. They would have to go in the same cage, but mine is definitely big enough for 2 chins.

Thanks for any input!!

:0)

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Re: chinny #2
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:34:42 PM »

You wouldn't want to put them in the same cage right away.  A separte cage 6 to 10 inches apart side by side would be ideal.  That way they can get to know each others smells as well as interact.  Let them use the same bath as to get their smells on each other and give them supervised play time out of the cages.  You wouldn't want an immediate rejection resulting in some fighting which could get very serious.  Chins are funny with their environment and need adjustment time.  Be prepared though.  Hope for the best but know that there is always a chance of complete rejection and one chin may never accept the other.  It DOES happen.  It's very tempting when you have the prospect of a cute little kit.  I made that mistake once and the younger actually beat up my older chin pretty good.  Torn ears and the whole bit.  I rushed it and my guy paid for it.  If you really want to get another, please take it slow and introduce properly.

However, congrats on the new kit if you get one.  Pictures of babies are always a must!!!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: chinny #2
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 07:47:27 AM »

I agree with Steven.  I have found that with most chins, the longer they have lived alone in the cage, the harder it is to get them to accept a cage mate.   And you certainly don't want to place a baby in with an adult right away.  Like Steven said they will fight, and if your current male is at all dominant he could kill a baby in a matter of seconds.

So like he said, plan on two cages but hope for a future with only one and do send pictures if you get one.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up