Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchillas can't have their period, can they?  (Read 5775 times)

jessla

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchillas can't have their period, can they?
« on: February 07, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »

Oh my gosh, I don't know what happened!  I just went to clean the cage of two of my female chinchillas.  And there was blood on top of their house where they sleep, on the ledges, and on their chinchiller...  I have no idea whose blood it was, and neither of them had blood on their fur.  I let them run around outside their cage while I cleaned it, and they both seemed to be doing fine.  I couldn't see any cuts or injuries after inspecting them!

But what was that blood?  I'm assuming I should be very worried!  As I never heard of chinchillas having their periods!

Maybe it wasn't blood?  Could they have a urinary tract infection and be peeing blood?  Please help!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Chinchillas can't have their period, can they?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:09:52 AM »

Sounds like someone is picking their feet.
Mine do that now and then and the blood gets smeared everywhere.
It's so hard to see any nicks or cuts on their feet if the just tore off a callus.
If I don't find any other evidence I go with the feet.
Debbie.nl.ca

jessla

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 03:11:44 PM »

I think you are right.  Last night, I checked, and it looked like one of them did have a nick in her feet.  She seemed to be in a little bit of pain after I observed her a little.  She wasn't running around too much in her cage.

She won't need antibiotics or anything, will she?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 11:27:51 AM »

No, some just go over board with their pedicures. As long as it's not deep from tearing a chunk out.
I have never seen it become a problem. That doesn't mean it couldn't. Just keep on eye out.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 12:09:49 PM »

::silly::  Is the cage put together with metal rings?  If so, one of them could have a little cut from the wire. 

If no metal rings, there could still be a welding place that is rough, you might want to check out every inch of the cage ... inside and out ... if there is a rough edge or spot anywhere, it will need to be filed down smooth.  Your hand works good, but a piece of silky fabric or hose will catch on the rough place much faster and you can file it down.  If you find one, always finish checking ... there could always be more than one place.

Female chins do go in season (similar to a period), but it is never enough that you would see signs of it on anything.  (And they constantly clean themselves when in season.) 

If you do think there could be blood in the urine, check it out by placing a piece of white butcher paper (freezer paper) or layer of white towels on the floor ... watch for any urine and immediately check out the color ... it should be anything from clear to light yellow ... if it is orange or redish, I would get a vet to check it out.

It's probably just a little nick, or over zealous in the pedicure like Debbie mentioned.   :)

Anytime you see blood, always check it out and do so carefully and completely ... what looks like matted fur, can be a wound that is trying to heal and fluid from the wound has matted the fur.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up