Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of getting a Shiba inu  (Read 1570 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Thinking of getting a Shiba inu
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:16:04 PM »

My friend got a shiba inu puppy and he is soo cute and smart. I really want one. I did just move back with my parents so i'd have to talk to them also but i wanted to know what you guys on here thought. My friend did alot of research on this bread before buying one. They are very smart dogs and easy to train. They got their puppy when he was 8 weeks old and was already potty trained. One of the reason i don't know if i should get one just yet is because she told me that they are breed to hunt animals the size of chinchillas. I don't know if i do get one if i should interduce it while its a puppy to them or not, so maybe it wouldn't be that interrested in them when he gets older, or to keep them separated as much as possible. They are medium size dogs.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Thinking of getting a Shiba inu
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »

You really need to look at breed instincts if you want an indoor dog with your chinchillas.  I am not familiar with the breed you are looking at but I know terriers and chihuahuas do not go good with chinchillas - from experince.  I would get your puppy in there with the cages from day one to get it used to them, but I would never trust a dog with them when the cage door is open.

We just got a blood hound a few weeks ago.  Big responsibility!  He is already very good with house training but we have to get up with him all through the night.  It is like having an infant.  He is 13 weeks old now and we have finally gotten it down to walking him at midnight, 3:30 am, and 6 am.  He can hold his bladder well for that amount of time.  We are exhausted though!

My chinchillas have their own building outside of the house but I do take the puppy with me.  It took a lot of training to get a strong understanding of the "leave it"  and "no bark" commands.  Now he is an angel.  He will look into the lower cages and eat dropped chinchilla feed from the floor but he will not bark or jump on the cages and will immediately back away and sit if I say "leave it" in a normal voice. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of getting a Shiba inu
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 10:36:22 AM »

wow, that is like having a baby. If i got one he'd be about 7 weeks old. I do have them in my room. I'd like the puppy to sleep in my room also. I have a fence for the chins that i keep around their cage. You must be good at training your puppy! I was hopping someone had a shiba inu on this forum and could tell me how the dog was around them. I prob wouldn't have the puppy around the chins during play time. I didn't even trust my kitty around them when the cage was open, but he,s with my ex now. :(.
Pages: [1]   Go Up