Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Litter Training  (Read 1120 times)

nagzkabagz

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Litter Training
« on: April 19, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »

I just got a 4 month old chinchilla and would like to litter train him. I have been reading other posts and read that you are supposed to put bedding in the litter box you wish them to pee in. My cage currently has bedding on the entire first level but not on any of the other 3 levels. Should I take the bedding out of the bottom and only put it in the litter box? The floor and levels of my cage are solid plastic. Do chinchillas have to have bedding other than where they pee? I've attached a picture of my cage before I had my chinchilla and put the bedding in the bottom.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Litter Training
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:38:42 PM »

Yes fill the bottom with shavings, they'll pick a spot to pee, and when that ones sogged they move to another. though I tend to pull out their spot every night or 2, and change the works once a week. I have shavings on the whole floor of my cages.
When they are out for their run there is one on the floor, or they can get back in the cage.
They are kind of like cats that way, they rarely pee out side their cage. Self trained.
Now their dropping they have no controle over, they drop where they may. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Litter Training
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »

hi nag...

is that a round plastic ball i see on the top of the cage.. if it is, you might not want to use it to put your chin in for exercise.

i have always learned they are a death trap waiting to happen.  you see, chinchillas don't sweat, and it can get very hot in that ball very quick causing heat stroke and dealth... i know they say safe for chinchillas on the packages, but they really aren't..

just want to let you know so the little one will be safe.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up