Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taming a chinchilla outside of his cage?  (Read 1143 times)

CuteFoosa

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Taming a chinchilla outside of his cage?
« on: June 08, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »

So I got Chibby On July 4th 2008.  He had a companion, Azumi, who died probably around a year ago.  (I had the flu, would it have been possible that I gave it to him?)  Anyway, his previous owner took great care of him so, even though he's active, he has always willingly jumped into my hands when I put them in his cage.  However, if he got out of the cage and I wasn't holding him, he would instantly run to the only place in the room that I could not reach him--under my bed--and just sit there.  I take him into either the bathroom sometimes (not usually, though, as all he does it sits behind the toilet) or in the pantry (4'x4' room) and let him jump on the boxes and crawl all around.  I sometimes give him his bath in there, also.  But he hates when I touch him or try to pet him.  I understand that it may just be his personality but are there any methods I could try to have him become more used to me outside of his cage?  I read the sticky topics and they weren't very useful. :s
Also, about a year and a half ago he started having seizures and I removed him from his cage.  After that for a long time he seemed afraid of me, as if I caused them, though I've almost gained his trust back as much as it was prior to that horrible day. :(
I guess I'm just really jealous that all the youtube videos I watch their chinchillas are jumping all over their owners or not running from them and trying to hide. :-\

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Taming a chinchilla outside of his cage?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 02:11:35 PM »

Sounds like you have a scaredy cat chinchilla.  :(
They are all so very different, and they are creatures of habit.
If he was always like that then it could be his personality.
Or yes something in his past made him so skittish.
You've had him long enough now that I would be handling some every day. Start slow, and try not to spook him.
Make him come to hand for his treat. Even break it up so small or use something like oatmeal, so he has to eat it out of your hand.
Or don't give him a treat unless he's in your arms.
Sprinkle dust on your hand and see if he'll warm up to it that way.
Hold him some every day and make it rewarding for him to let you.
Other than that get more chins so you see the different personalities, if you have the time money & space.
Debbie.nl.ca

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Taming a chinchilla outside of his cage?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »

Like every relationship, it takes patience and work but the rewards are far greater than I can possibly describe. Another thing to plan out is consistency in your relationship with your fluff balls....Like mine know when snack time is, they know when I get home from work, they, like children need a routine, a certain schedule...I think that will make things easier for bonding and taming. That has been my experience anyway. I do not know if everyone agrees but this is what continues to work for me.  Good Luck!  ::silly:: ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up