Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Now what?  (Read 1502 times)

1newChinmom1

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Now what?
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:53:44 PM »

OK, we made it past a frighteningly steep learning curve.   :( We survived our Daddy chinchilla passing away right after the new kit was born. We survived a surprise birth less than two weeks after the surprise arrival of the parents. After two seizures ( three weeks ago), new air conditioning, bad dreams, a Houdini babe, fur chewing and constant worry - now I have come up with a whole now concern.
Since her mate passed away, our little Mother will be alone in her cage when we have to wean the kit. Since it is a male, they will be separated until he is 'fixed' so as to be safe to be with Mom. That will put Mom alone in her habitat for months!   :::(((
 Now the little Sir is very, VERY tame. He leaps into our hands the moment the gate is open, calls us if he hears us in another room, takes naps in my lap 5 days out of 7. So I know he will get enough love and family attention. But the Mother is still shy, only climbing into my arms cautiously, to return quickly to her safe haven. I am not sure if having him at the other end of the room, in a separate habitat will be a good thing, or a bad thing. ::shrug:: They won't be able to see each other's cages, but they will be able to hear and smell each other. They will both stay here, in our home, after he can return to her habitat (which will be a very large one, already ordered).
So my question is, is she going to be ok alone? When I separated her from her mate, after the kit was born, her mate just laid down, quit eating, drinking, didn't move again, except to crawl into our arms for cuddles. I can't bear to have another chinch grieve to death in my arms. ::cry222:::
Please help me make this right. How do I make this temporary separation acceptable to the Mom?  ::think:: I have a month left to get ready, and I am wide open to suggestions. ::nod::
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:38:33 AM »

Why are you putting his cage so far away?  You should keep them side by side.  Then they will still be able to see, smell, and communicate, but will not be able to mate.  That should help with the separation and will make the reintroduction so much easier.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

jbcstratton

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:21:08 PM »

I agree the cages should not be that far away, you only need to seperate them by like 4 inches so they can't breed.
Brandy

1newChinmom1

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:27:43 PM »

OK, I can put their cages about 6 inches apart, in an 'L' shape. I thought that seeing each other made it more difficult, but if it helps, I will be happy to oblige  ::nod:: . Any other advice? :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up