Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of getting rid of the saucer, anyone interested?  (Read 4981 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of getting rid of the saucer, anyone interested?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 06:11:42 PM »

both of mine loved it till i took it out and then they use it just not much at all

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 12:22:29 PM »

Another question, I owned 4 chins, but only one of them like playing wheel. How you guys think about how is the percentage for a chin enjoy playing saucer??

all mine love it. the two boys (14 weeks old) tend to run on the wheel together! it's really quite funny. though i have to separate them this weekend :( they will have a wheel each though!

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 12:49:28 PM »

Why are you gonna separate the 2 boys.  Do you have females in the house or something?

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »

yes. and one is due to give birth on the 26th so she'll be in heat straight after - i really can't risk them having a scrap. the plan is to have them done once they're over 6 months old and reintroduce one to his mum and the other to his sister so they'll be paired.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:58:30 PM by dianah »

Jhenderson27

• Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 08:30:29 PM »

Be aware that having a chinchilla fixed is a very dangerous surgery that needs to be done by a very experienced vet in exotics that have chin knowledge.  I was thinking of doing that until I talked to my vet.  They are very good with chins and don't recommend doing it as there can be severe complications.  Think long before making that choice.

Anyhow I wish for only the best.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 05:37:22 AM »

i know. i lost my chinchi this way - he developed a massive infection after neutering and after eight weeks of treatment, there was a puss capsule that the medication could not penetrate. he needed another surgery to remove it and had a reaction to the anesthetic. i was absolutely heartbroken - still am.
it is very very difficult decision for me, however, i do not want them to be alone - before i got chinchi his mate (who we thought was male!!!), i was his mate and he loved me and groomed me but that was nothing compared to the relationship he developed with fluffy.
this time, i will know what to look for. this time, i'm going to ask for a course of antibiotics after the surgery - they do this with people and with dogs if they have open surgery so why not chins? it was absolutely my fault for not checking his wounds sooner - he never liked to be picked up and i really didn't want to stress him out after having a surgery and he was eating and everything as normal. if i had checked, i would have found the infection sooner and he would still be here.
i'm crying now so i better go see his babies - that always cheers me up.

Jhenderson27

• Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 09:28:35 AM »

I can imagine losing one like that.  I give you credit for being tough.  Just remember you got his kids and his mate.  Keep them all happy and strong and he lives on forever.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »

it was awful. so many times we thought he wasn't going to make it - like when he stopped eating but thankfully found a taste for critical care and was eating it off a spoon, and then finally when we thought he was going to be ok... i had to take a week off work because i couldn't stop crying.

to start with, he had to have cream applied to his bits twice a day as well as three different medications. then puss started coming out of his wounds - which was a good thing - so i had to wash them out with hibiscrub & get as much puss out as possible twice a day. he didn't really mind that, although he didn't like his meds, they didn't taste nice.

it was so beautiful when he was allowed back in with fluffy and the babies - we were a little worried what would happen but everyone was grooming him and the babies were always cuddled up to him rather than to fluffy - he was such a sweet gentle soul, he let them climb all over him, they'd have gotten a sharp slap from fluffy if they tried anything like that with her.

i miss him so much... but you're right, his babies and fluffy, they're all so beautiful and they're his. and there's more on the way (when we found out fluffy was a girl, we had babies and she was already pregnant - we didn't know for sure until about a week ago) - i hope they're all healthy. i'm secretly hoping for a pink white because chinchi was a pink white but it doesn't really matter.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up