Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exercise Wheel  (Read 5191 times)

Advocate

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Exercise Wheel
« on: May 26, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »

Chico loved his original wheel -- ran in it like crazy a lot, and slept under it.  However, the bar that stuck out in the center of it lightly brushed over his back when he ran and I found fuzzy bits of his fur.  His back does not look bald or anything, but it concerned me to see the fuzz. 

So I bought another wheel, one of those Silent Runner ones, which has the advantage of only having a small knob in the center rather than a bar that sticks out.   

He can't seem to get up the same speed in the new wheel.  It is made of a different plastic, and he looks more like he is "bouncing" in it than running.  Also, because it curves slightly inward around the outer rim, his droppings kind of collect in there and rattle around.  He does like to sleep IN this wheel, he curls up and looks like he's in a cradle.  But he's not running much in it. 

I can put the first wheel back in.  But should I be bothered that it rubs some fuzz off his back?

:)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Re: Exercise Wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »

No I would not put the wheel back in you already are seeing signs of it harming your chin. They make chinchilla  safe wheels that are large without the center. I'll have to look for the link. But in the mean time...Here's the Chinchilla safe "Flying Saucer" it doesn't have any plastic on it for them to digest. Which can actually "kill" them. I just actually purchased one. And...it does take a bit for them to get the hang of it I've been told.

If you get an exercise wheel to replace the one with the middle spoke sticking out. Make sure it's 15 inches so your chin's back doesn't get hurt. Having to small of a one for them is bad on their spin.

Now off to find the link to the safe version of his favorite wheel.  ;)
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »

I know ones have used qualitycage.com's wheels...Here's the link:

http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1802
~Darlene

RollinEK

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 03:52:48 PM »

I have the chinspin from quality cage, they will barely get out of it for cheerios
Chinny Ranch Rescue
ChinnyRanchRescue@gmail.com
Serving the OKlahoma City Area.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »

I have the chinspin from quality cage, they will barely get out of it for cheerios

Wish I could boast of the same...but not yet. They will sleep under it...on it. But won't run on my Flying Saucer. But we just put it in on Saturday. So it's still early~
~Darlene

Advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 06:25:03 PM »

That chin-spin from QualityCage is definitely the way to go!  Thanks SO much!

RollinEK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 05:11:58 PM »

FYI! my cage is made of 3/8 inch pinewood, the bolts they give you are about 1/2 long. so you might have to get new bolts unless you have a wire cage.
Chinny Ranch Rescue
ChinnyRanchRescue@gmail.com
Serving the OKlahoma City Area.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 09:12:49 AM »

I have that saucer and its great. My chins love it. The only problem i had with it and the cage that I have is that its heavy and they would run on it soo fast and long and it was breaking the wires on my cage. So i finally had the idea of the bottom on if touch the ground instead of it being supported just by the cage. But it did take up alot of floor space. So a month or so ago i took it out, so they can just use it on play time. I also have them in my bedroom so I sleep better now.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:15:15 AM »

I have that saucer and its great. My chins love it. The only problem i had with it and the cage that I have is that its heavy and they would run on it soo fast and long and it was breaking the wires on my cage. So i finally had the idea of the bottom on if touch the ground instead of it being supported just by the cage. But it did take up alot of floor space. So a month or so ago i took it out, so they can just use it on play time. I also have them in my bedroom so I sleep better now.

::think:: I hope I do not run into the same troubles you had. Our wire on the ferret nation cage has really strong wire than some cages I've seen at the pet store. And the saucer is vertually silent! What brand of cage did you have yours attached to?

Nibbles figured out the saucer...and Fluffy's getting the hang of it. But Nibbles LOVES LOVES LOVES the saucer! It's big...but if you can figure out the miles your chin runs then it's worth the area it takes up. And gives them extra square footage when you think of how long they run on them. Our breeder thought our cage to large for two chins...so I don't feel so bad with them having the saucer taking up space. With the double decker ferret nation cage they've plenty of room. Then of course they get playtime outside the cage as well.
~Darlene

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »

You prob won't. I have since then checked out cages at the pet store and most of them have stronger wire. I think the brand of cage I have is  "super pet"

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 06:31:36 PM »

You prob won't. I have since then checked out cages at the pet store and most of them have stronger wire. I think the brand of cage I have is  "super pet"

Phew! That's a relief...that you too feel that my bars are stronger. I would hate to have my bars broken! It is amazingly quiet! I can't get over how quiet it actually is. My husband just didn't tighten the U clip but put it diagonal to give it added security when the screws were tightened. Verses just horizonal. Sort of like / across the bars...if you can picture it. I've seen some YouTube videos and they make noise. But I think it depends on the cage and how it's mounted.
~Darlene

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »

Hey, I have 2 chinchillas and I've had the flying saucer in their cage for a few months but they've yet to figure it out. Is there anything I can do to teach them how to use it?

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 07:09:54 AM »

OK, now I have something new to worry about  ::) ..can the cage be too big? Judging by Cadillac taste's post, there is an appropriate limit......hmm. Help me out here, we are about to order a HUGE habitat, and I don't want to hurt my ChinBabies.
Also, which spinner is better, and easier to use? The flying saucer or the chin-spin? Would they enjoy both? We have a lady Chin and her son, who will be moving out of the habitat until he is fixed, and will then return to him Mum, permanently.
Two questions, any answers?  ::shrug::

The more I learn, the more I rfealize how little I know  ::scaredspeachless::

z168

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 02:42:33 PM »

I have that wheel. Awesome sturdy wheel  ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 03:51:35 PM »

mine love the flying saucer wheel. we've got three now!

chinchi took a couple of days before he showed us that he can use it. fluffy was straight on it and the babies grew up with it - all three used to run on it at the same time, boys still run on it together. it's dead funny but they're very good at being synchronised now! before, you had two running in one direction and the third in the other!
Pages: [1]   Go Up