Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Curious Case of Grumpers Gallardo (Advice; please)  (Read 2372 times)

Gallardo_Puff

• Proud Mummy
  • Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
The Curious Case of Grumpers Gallardo (Advice; please)
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:05:54 PM »

Lately, my chin Gallardo has been what I would call very grumpy. And I don't know why or what to do!  :'(

He keeps eatting/chewing at the bars on the side of his cage and sticking his little nose so tightly through them I'm afraid that he's hurting himself.  ::scaredspeachless::  He can be so violent about it sometimes too. I don't know if he's doing it for attention, but it sure has me worried about him. (I'm a very protective mommy with this guy because simply, I love him.)
I don't know why he is doing this. He's also gotten into the habit of crawling out of the cage when i open it to switch "chin-chillers", give him more food, to pet him, everything. It's like overnight he went from being a timid and cautious furball to being a little escape artist and daredevil.

Gallardo is my very first Chinchilla and boy oh boy, I get so worried I'm doing something wrong. I just want to be the best mother that I can be to him.

I have also been concerned with him eatting the Carefresh Colors bedding I got for him. He just takes little nibbles of it sometimes.

jbcstratton

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: The Curious Case of Grumpers Gallardo (Advice; please)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:13:42 AM »

Sounds like he wants some out of the cage time or maybe you could try some new chew sticks.
Brandy

Gallardo_Puff

• Proud Mummy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:31:23 AM »

I have been giving him out of the cage time for about 1.5 hours and the little bugger still wants more!

1newChinmom1

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 05:59:58 AM »

We are having our first experience with chin babies too. It can be very unsettling because they are so loveable so quickly. I have noticed that ours like the cage rearranged ever so often. I move the basket from one end to the other, hang the water bottle in a different corner, that sort of thing. Also I add and delete cardboard tubes, half boxes with lots of holes for climbing through, and bits of kiln dried, non-treated for bugs, pine from the local small hardware store. When we have floor time, we bring different things along. Sometimes empty orange crates, sometimes empty boxes from canned goods, sometimes lots of saved empty paper towel rolls. I just change it up a lot, so playtime is always different.
I have also noticed when I am worried or upset they seem to pick up on it. She gets grumpy and he gets snuggley. Of course I understand both feelings
Another thing we do is keep on the lookout for new treats. No sugar, only Chin safe, but  there are a lot of options out there! The only thing I don't change around is his/her potty corner, since that is not  my decision to make,lol.
I hope this helps, I know each Chinbaby is different (as is each Chinmom and Chingrammy). Good luck with your Babe and his moods.

The more I learn, the  more I realize how little I know  ???

Gallardo_Puff

• Proud Mummy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »

Gallardo has been happier it seems!  :::grins::

Gallardo_Puff

• Proud Mummy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:35:57 PM »

He went back in to grumpers mode today. He just gets so angry when I put him back in his cage or go into his cage and not let him out. :(

1newChinmom1

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:52:40 AM »

Just a thought, and please don't be upset with me..but, maybe he is picking up a little on your anxiety? Horses do, and dogs too. Maybe Chins do? Just a thought, I don't really know that much. I just really feel for you and what you are going through.
Another small and less easy to express thought....has he been to a vet lately? He may be hiding an injury or pain. I hate to even bring this up, because now you have something new to worry about, but I can't help worrying about EVERYTHING,lol.  ::)

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know ???

Gallardo_Puff

• Proud Mummy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 11:11:31 AM »

You know, it very much could be my anixety.
I don't think he is injured. He still bounces off walls when ever he comes out for play time. I just think he might want to be out ALL the time. And he knows he can't.

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 02:34:45 PM »

Does he have a wheel?
Sandy

Gallardo_Puff

• Proud Mummy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 10:36:21 PM »

Does he have a wheel?

No I have not introduced him to a wheel yet.
I would like to get him a bigger cage before I do that. I'm afraid that it will become so crowded.
Pages: [1]   Go Up