Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sand as Bedding  (Read 5912 times)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Sand as Bedding
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 11:03:23 AM »

I think in responce to my comment jmdebb.

I have always used pine shavings and /or unprinted news print now and then. I have never had a problem, but have been advised by my vet and others that some chins are showing up with respiratory problems they feel are due too the pine.

Yes pine is safe, BUT many are now saying pine shavings can cause respiratory problems. I'm still using them with out any problems. ::shrug::
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 10:27:01 PM »

oh wow, this is the first i have heard that pine causes resp problems.

i use it, i use carefresh in a litter pan, but then i have to hide it or they eat it, so i cover the carefresh with pine shavings.. and so far, no problems..
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 02:24:35 PM »

I have used it my whole life, always had pets.
But I've sure been lambasted on a couple of sights in the past for still using it with all the new evidence that it is harmful to caged animals. Even my vet warned me.

Then if I had lost a chinchilla because I felt something I was using caused or aided in it's death I would not use it either. ::nono::

I did have a very sick chin that seem to get worse sitting on the floor in the shavings. I changed him over to unprinted news print + fleece and his breathing did improve for a while.

I think if you have a sick animal that has developed respiratory problems any thing scented and or dusty can irritated it. There is a smell off the pine though not normally harmful. I even had to be careful of what I cleaned his cage with. Even his dust bath bothered his breathing.

But does it cause problems ????? I don't think so. I would think if it did there would be many many more cases. Everyone would have seen it at least once.
Now that's just my opinion and what I have observed and been told over they years. Eveyone has to do their own homework and come to their own conclusions.
What works for one will not work for all.

My chins go freaking nuts over yogurt. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 08:24:34 PM »

I have used it my whole life, always had pets.
But I've sure been lambasted on a couple of sights in the past for still using it with all the new evidence that it is harmful to caged animals. Even my vet warned me.

Then if I had lost a chinchilla because I felt something I was using caused or aided in it's death I would not use it either. ::nono::

I did have a very sick chin that seem to get worse sitting on the floor in the shavings. I changed him over to unprinted news print + fleece and his breathing did improve for a while.

I think if you have a sick animal that has developed respiratory problems any thing scented and or dusty can irritated it. There is a smell off the pine though not normally harmful. I even had to be careful of what I cleaned his cage with. Even his dust bath bothered his breathing.

But does it cause problems ????? I don't think so. I would think if it did there would be many many more cases. Everyone would have seen it at least once.
Now that's just my opinion and what I have observed and been told over they years. Eveyone has to do their own homework and come to their own conclusions.
What works for one will not work for all.

My chins go freaking nuts over yogurt. ;)

you know way more than me, but i have to agree.. five years on forums and pine has always been fine.. and so many people use it and never heard of chins having problems.  but like you said, if there is already a problem there, sure, maybe it would make it worse, just like anything else.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up