Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Signs of Aggression  (Read 2020 times)

Bathlax13

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Signs of Aggression
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:03:52 PM »

Hello all, as some of you may know, me and the wife welcomed a new bundle of joy for Christmas. Now, we are realizing that introducing two chinchillas is a little tougher than we thought. We are not sure how far we should let them go. When we let them both out together, at first, they just ignore each other, and do their own thing, but occasionally our first chinchilla will run after our new guy, and if he catches him, he will mount him (I think? he just gets on the others back). Usually, as soon as they start chasing one another, we try to seperate them. Are we doing the right thing, or should we let them continue, and supervise it. I guess the real problem is that we are not sure what is fighting, and what isnt. Any advice would be appreciated.
-Matt

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Signs of Aggression
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:23:12 PM »

The mounting is normal, it's a dominance thingy. The first is letting the second know he is boss. The problems arise when one decides he's not giving up his rank to the new guy.
Believe me you'll know when they are truly fighting. They can be pretty nasty to each other. As long as there is no fur flying, yelps, or attacks keep moving forward with their introduction.
Debbie.nl.ca

left027

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Signs of Aggression
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 04:36:17 PM »

When they fight it's really obvious.  One will be pulling fur out of the other and they'll be making all sorts of not happy sounds.  I had some mild fighting when I introduced my boys.  You can read it here: http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2584.msg20415.html#msg20415
Pages: [1]   Go Up