Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making play time more fun  (Read 3231 times)

Chins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Making play time more fun
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:26:42 AM »

Our boys(7 months) usually get at least 2 hours minimum of play time every night, most days we try and let them go longer so they're not cooped up in their cage.
We use a play pen (since we only have a one bed room and we have no way of chinchilla proofing the entire apt) and give them chew toys and tubes. We also try to sit with them and teach them tricks. But it seems like when we sit in the cage, their main purpose is to jump on our heads and then jump out of the play pen. We have let them free run in the apt a few times but they hide in little nooks and disappear into our stuff or under our recliner, which is frightening so we agreed the playpen is safer.

Saurumon is active from the moment we put him in the playpen to the moment we put him back in the cage. Ridley is active for a bit then sits for a bit then is active for a bit. He becomes super active when we sit in the cage with him. The minute we put them back in their cage they want to immediately come back out.

They don't seems to learn the tricks we teach them very well, they mostly just ignore us, we have to entice them with treats every time.
When we hold them they also try and squirm out of our hands, even when we hold them close to our chest.

We try to rotate and vary their toys every night and change the furniture in their cage once a week.

I somehow feel maybe we're not maximizing our time with our boys or maybe we're missing something.

Any suggestions ?

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Making play time more fun
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 02:10:07 PM »

no, you are doing fine, chins will be chins....  thats what they do, they run around, jump on you, try to get out of the playpen... do it all over again... 

just be careful with them out for 2 hours at a time in the hot season so they don't over heat.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:15:39 PM »

jmdebb- Thanks for the reassurance!  :)

I guess I've been watching too many chinchilla videos on youtube. There's always all these chins that do really cool things lol. So I wondered if I was doing something wrong.

They are still very young though. They seem to learn their name though, even though Ridely seems to ignore us when we call him. Saurumon usually responds and runs up to us.

Thanks you again. I'd love to hear about your chins!

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »

no problem chins.. i guess some can be trained..like if you want, you can train them to use the litter pan.. but when it comes to training tricks, i'm not sure about how easily that can be done, i know some people do some things to train them.   some things are just luck, like i'll post a link to someone bo does.. i saw it once on youtube and thought i would try it and he just did it, angel did it once, but not noel or chinny.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSCt5ox3uOU

and like i know mine will wall surf if they aren't in the pen.  but like i said don't worry, you aren't doing anything wrong. 

one thing i did with chinny, he was my first so i had alot of time to spend with him, i would put a treat on my hand and hold it still and let him come to me and eat it.  well i slowly moved the treat up my arm, and each time i moved it he would go up further and further to get the treat [doing it more than once in the same spot] until he finally reached my shoulder.  to this day, if i just put my hands in his cage, he will climb on me.  but the others won't.

Your One Stop Chin Shop

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 03:42:11 AM »

Hey! The video was great  :::grins:: lol

They already use a litter pan during play time but it has to be empty, if we put carefresh in it they eat it. They will also only use it to pee if no one is sitting in the pen with them. Like tonight, I sat in the pen for a few minutes and Saurumon decided he was going to pee on my pants, which he has done before. So I was annoyed lol.

Both Ridley and Saurumon have no problem sitting on my shoulder but they don't stay on the shoulder, they always try to jump off. I guess it's their nature.

As far as training, I guess I'm just trying to add to their time outside of the cage. Maybe as they get older and time goes on they will bond closer to us.
Thanks for your support  ;)

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 01:55:36 AM »

if they are eating the carefresh you should think about using something else in the box, that can be dangerous when they eat it.
what i do is put carefresh on the bottom, because mine eat it too, but then i put pine on top..

as for the jumping, yes that is their nature...

and with the litter box, that is all they do in it, is pee, they won't do all their poop in it, they just are pooping machines.
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 06:39:40 AM »

Our boys(7 months) usually get at least 2 hours minimum of play time every night, most days we try and let them go longer so they're not cooped up in their cage.
Chins love their freedom {out of the cage play time} ... but they can get over heated.  You might want to get a chinchiller.  {A square of granate or marble ... like you would use on the floor -found in any flooring supply place ... and have it setting out for them to go to if they get a little hot.  This allows them to 'cool down' when sitting on it.}

We use a play pen (since we only have a one bed room and we have no way of chinchilla proofing the entire apt) and give them chew toys and tubes.

You might want to chin proof one room ... the bathroom is usually the easiest room to chin proof. OR you could close all the doors to the rooms and block off the end of the hall way ... hallways are always easy to chin-proof.   ::nod::

We also try to sit with them and teach them tricks.
Chinchillas will usually do tricks to get your attention and keep your attention.  They are very smart!  They love to be the center of attention and will invent things/tricks of their own to get it.  I have one that does back flips over a hut another that dances on her hind feet, one that plays dead (scares us, but definitely gets our attention).  They love attention.  When you see them do something that is real cute ... praise them ... soon they will be trying new ways/tricks to get your attention ... especially if there are 2 or more of them ... each of them wants your 'undivided attention' - they will compete for your attention!   rofl

But it seems like when we sit in the cage, their main purpose is to jump on our heads and then jump out of the play pen. We have let them free run in the apt a few times but they hide in little nooks and disappear into our stuff or under our recliner, which is frightening so we agreed the playpen is safer.
This is normal ... the like their freedom as well as the next guy chin!  They are very curious creatures and love to explore ... besides that ... they do have your undivided attention playing hide and seek with you!  :D

Saurumon is active from the moment we put him in the playpen to the moment we put him back in the cage. Ridley is active for a bit then sits for a bit then is active for a bit. He becomes super active when we sit in the cage with him. The minute we put them back in their cage they want to immediately come back out.
 Again, they know you will go else where after you put them in the cage, plus they want to explore some more.  This is all normal.  

They don't seems to learn the tricks we teach them very well, they mostly just ignore us, we have to entice them with treats every time.
 You may not be training them ... but they are doing a great job training you!   ::) ;D

When we hold them they also try and squirm out of our hands, even when we hold them close to our chest.
 Again, they like their freedom and are not much for 'touch me - hold me", plus, they are getting body heat from you and can get overheated if held to long.  OR ... they need to go pee-pee and they love you to much to do it on you.  :)

We try to rotate and vary their toys every night and change the furniture in their cage once a week.
 Chinchillas preferr a regular routine and things that are familiar.  You might want to try rotating toys outside the cage, but keeping everything the same inside their cage.  Their cage is their security blanket.

I somehow feel maybe we're not maximizing our time with our boys or maybe we're missing something.
Relax and enjoy them and let them enjoy you!  Quit trying so hard!   ;)

Hope this helps.  Keep us posted!

|hugs| Jo Ann
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:52:17 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »

Hey guys!
Thanks for your advice.  ;) They've really been little rascals lately.
Ridley has perfected the art of escaping the play pen. Saraumon just runs and runs around and chew on the bars. They are very creative as well.
They definitely keeps us on our toes. 

We have a tile that we keep in the cage so they can sit on it or lay on it. I usually put it in the fridge so it can be cool for them.

So this morning, I noticed Ridley laying on his side on the wires of the cage to sleep. He doesn't seem to be in pain or anything, breathing seems normal. I've notice Saurumon doing the same thing but Saraumon will only do it on a solid surface. Has anyone else has this experience?

opaldamour

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »

I'm also trying to get my girls alittle more comfortable with us, it's a process. Neither of them like to be held, and they only like being touched on their terms. Considering that our breeder didn't seem to handle any of her herd very often, I wasn't surprised. I'm also going slow because Dharma is a fur biter... and she's had a particular bad bout recently due to an ear infection and potential arthritis... she's an older girl at 7. Now that we have her on meds for it, I'm trying to get her used to being picked up without stressing her out. We try not to chase her around, but unforunately some nights we don't have much of a choice if she refuses to cooperate. She has to have the medication, and we have to pick her up to give it to her.

But other than that they have come very far since we got them last year. At first they wouldn't even come out of the cage, and every time you put your hand in with them they would bark at you. Now, we can pet them in the cage, they will crawl all over you and sit in your lap on occasion for petting (and if you don't pet them when they want it, they will tug on your shirt until you do). Lily is a major climber out of cage, and dharma loves to run. They both come to the front of the cage if you shake the raisin box, and if you sit next to the cage you'll get a shoulder 'chilla.

With patience I'm hoping to be able to coax them to be held for small periods of time, to do a few simple tricks, and what not.

But they have us trained pretty well. Lily will take her raisin (or whatever we treat them with that day) when she gets into the cage, stuff the whole thing in her mouth, and try to jump right back out. Dharma pouts at the front shelf if she doesn't get her treat immediately.

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 03:38:39 PM »

lol. that's kinda cute.

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »

with mine, if i use a different room, they get super excited. its so funny to watch them running with more excite in their bounce. 

also what you can do is put their dust in the frig and let them take a bath on chilled dust. i've never tried it, but i've heard others say they have.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
Pages: [1]   Go Up