Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chronic bone infection  (Read 1234 times)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
chronic bone infection
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »

mae, my rescue girl has a chronic bone infection of her jaw bone. she must have had this for quite a long time before she came to us as she has a tusk - i originally thought this was elongated root - which was formed as a response to the infection. there's an opening in the surrounding tissue at the bottom of her chin and a small amount of puss comes out daily.

there are no drugs to treat this as medication to treat this condition in other species would upset chinchilla gut too much - she'd been on a high dose of antibiotics for a prolonged period for other health problems and this didn't touch it (we didn't expect it to but just thought i'd mention)

it doesn't bother her at all, it doesn't seem painful, she's happy for me to clean it. it flares up every so often (i've had her since october last year and she had one flare up) when more puss comes out and it's red and swollen - looks like an angry spot - but doesn't cause any problems than that.

however, i do worry about the area it's in (roots nearby!) and i'm wondering if anybody's seen this before?

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: chronic bone infection
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »

i've never heard of it, i'm sorry to hear this. 

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up