Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby's got a (cough) boner  (Read 1920 times)

PSV

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Baby's got a (cough) boner
« on: August 27, 2011, 12:13:38 PM »

As the title of the topic says, one of my kits acts like he's a sex machine trying to hump everything within the cage limits.
Of course his favorite sex toys are his brothers who don't seem to be against it :). To be noted that they're 18 days old. While I find it rather hilarious I just wish to make sure that due to his perseverance he won't end up with a problem like a fur ring on the weenie or whatever. Is this behavior normal for their age?

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Baby's got a (cough) boner
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »

he's mounting. it's a dominance thing rather than sex thing. while i've never seen this with my kits, i have read about this happening. i think it's fairly normal but keep an eye on it to make sure he's not bullying the other kits to the point where they cannot nurse or are getting hurt.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 05:55:21 AM »

As the post said above, check each kit's nose regularly for cuts.  Those dominate babies tend to fight the others pretty hard and can do some damage. They also may not let the others eat enough.  If the other kits are smaller you might want to remove him for 30 mins several times a day to give the others a chance to eat.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

PSV

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:37:44 AM »

They are not fighting anymore. It happened only the first day they were born and after a couple of hours they stopped.
However, I have noticed lately that the mom is making some cackling sounds when the kits are nursing. My belief is that she's in pain sometimes during the process. According to Chinchilla sounds it's a defence sound most commonly translated as "Ouch" or "scram"
Obviously, since I noticed her reactions I'm monitoring the babies more often, performing a weight check almost every 12 hours.

Probably removing the 2 bigger kits from time to time is a great idea since the baby linked to the cackling is also the smallest (in weight).
Nevertheless the father is a great "surrogate mom" as far as I saw. He keeps the babies warm and clean all the time when he's in their cage (chinmom needs to be removed in prior).
Too bad that the chinmom doesn't accept the chindad around anymore. Probably after removing the kits things will be different. If not I will have the titanic work of having the cage rebuilt so they can both enjoy it.
To make it comprehensive mom spends her quality time alongside the kits in a 180 cm height / 80 cm wide / 60 cm in depth cage while the dad has a 50/50/50 cm cage. It doesn't even worth mentioning that the poor bastard hates that cage big-time but I can't stand looking at them how they are settling the authority within the cage limits while the kits are around.

Once again thank you for the tips!
I'll keep you posted with the progress.

Kind regards,
Vic

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:38:22 AM »

Don't worry about Mom fussing.  Some babies bite when they nurse and the mom will fuss to teach them it is too hard.  I hear that in my herd room all the time.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 11:03:39 AM »

they have really really sharp teeth! fluffy was telling mine off all the time!
Pages: [1]   Go Up