Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heart murmur  (Read 5440 times)

texchin

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Heart murmur
« on: November 14, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »

What do y'all know about chinchillas and heart murmurs? My chin was recently diagnosed with a heart murmur during a routine vet exam. I also learned that "he" is a "she." I trusted the seller that they had the gender correct.  ::)

Anyway, do I need to do anything different or special for my special girl knowing that she has the murmur? She's a 1 year and 7 months old. Weight and body condition are excellent (per vet) as are eyes, ears, mouth (dentition) and lungs.

Thanks!

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Heart murmur
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »

the gender 'change' happens a lot (happened to me as well!), that's why i keep banging on about making sure they say what they say they are if you're introducing a new chin. if they're housed on their own, it's not such a big deal :)

i've never had a chin diagnosed with heart murmur but i think it is quite common. i think care needs to be taken if a chin with heart murmur needs to go under anaesthetic, but as yours seems to be in perfect health, hopefully she won't even need to! :)

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 04:39:58 PM »

The sex misidentification is common.  For 9 years I thought Frisbee was male. When she passed from pyometra complications,, it was discovered during the necropsy.  Had We knew she was female, we may have been able to save her.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

texchin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:35:16 AM »

Thanks for the responses. Funny how common gender mis-identification occurs. Now I'm questioning whether or not the vet got it right  ::) I suppose I trust the vet (who has chin experience) over the pet shop that brokered the deal between me and the breeder.

Does anyone know about vitamin C therapy for chins with heart murmurs?

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 11:06:11 PM »

one of my chins has a heart murmor.. my bet had toldd me its quite common in pocket pets...  and i know she said that no no's wasn't that bad..and i didn't need to worrya bout it.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 11:55:47 PM »

To tell teh difference between a male and female, look at the anogenital distance.  The males have a thing of bare skin between the penis and anus, the females, the ureathral spigot is right on top of the anus.  Of course you have to be able to pick them up to see it.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 11:06:31 AM »

i think sometimes it does appear that there is distance between their bum and their willy/urethral cone even in females, especially if they are in heat. the best way i have found is to very gently pull the skin behind the willy/urethral cone away from their bum and if it's a male, the skin between will lift up, if it's a female, it will not and you will see a slit.

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:58:27 AM »

Um, is it not easier than that? My 7 year old male chin had clearly defined "balls". Don't all male chinchillas of a certain age have that? I know my 8month old male doesn't have them but I presumed it was the kind of thing that developed over time!

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 04:07:59 PM »

of certain age is the key phrase there. most chins get sexed when they're young. and obviously the neutered ones don't have the 'balls'. and they can retract them so not always visible! and rescues are often of an unknown age so it's difficult to tell if they should have them or not. best way is to look at the space between bits to be sure!

texchin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 08:02:14 AM »

The vet told me the testicles are retained, but he felt them by palpating. Oliver is a year and 7 months. I don't know when they are considered to be fully adult?

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »

i think they are considered fully grown at 9 months but some colours develop slower. yes, you can see/feel their testicles in their tummies - i freaked out big time once when i was doing a hair ring check and there were these two massive lumps! called emergency vet and everything!  :blush2: that's why it's open surgery when they're being neutered rather than having a sack removed, like dogs do! (this would be SO much easier!!!)

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 04:01:30 PM »

At what age do the testicles usually descend in chins? I have an adult male that has them clearly visible, and I have a weanling that Does not appear to have them yet. When the weanling was born, I checked out both him and his sister, so I know that one is definitely a male.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »

i don't think they do in all cases. also, i think that only a small part of the actual testicles appears as the little balls on the outside, they appear much larger in their tummies!

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »

I have read that chins don't have scrotums surrounding the testicles. Is that true?
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 05:40:28 AM »

::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly::  

Chinchillas with heart murmurs do need special attention.  A heart problem is never something to shrug off.  They need gentle handling, good supplements, shorter play periods and should never become a parent.  Males can become a little to excited ... enough said on that.  The strain on the body for a female chinchilla to carry, develop, deliver and raise a litter can often be just to much for a chinchilla with a heart murmur to survive.  I always advise breeders, chinchilla owners, to have the chins checked out before putting them into breeding.  The more irresponsible breeding of chinchillas with heart murmurs would definitely make it a "common thing" for chinchillas to have heart murmurs and could be the beginning of the end for all chinchillas.  Keep in mind ... anytime you place two chinchillas of the opposite sex together ... even for a minute or so ... the possibility of pregnancy is always there ... Please, be a responsible breeder!  

Most of the time, a good breeder will be able to tell the difference ... most pet store employees have little knowledge and find out first if you want a male or a female before they tell you the sex of the chinchilla.   ::think:: What could be wrong with this? Maybe they are to embarrassed that they do not know the difference OR they want the sale, regardless of the sex of the chin.  :doh:

It is sometimes confusing at birth, because they are so tiny, but by the time the chin is old enough to be weened/adopted, it should be obvious. Check the pictures of the kits below ... these kits are less than a week old.  

Note that I am lifting the tail from behind and above, rather than just turning the kit over in my hand. Raising the tail makes it easier to tell ... I think.  Click on each picture to enlarge them.

Hope this helps!

::wave:: Jo Ann
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:54:15 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up