Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Chinchilla Owner  (Read 919 times)

L.Luciano21

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Chinchilla Owner
« on: December 22, 2011, 10:09:23 PM »

I am loving this forum. I have been googling all my chinchilla questions and I receive many contradicting answers. It is great to be part of a chinchilla group with others who have a love for their pets.I had my chin for abet a week and a half. I understand that the adjustment period is very important so I have been trying to spend as much time with Baxter (my chins name) , as I could. I work during the day, however each morning I spend some time with him, and when I get home I take him out at least 1 hr a day. I purchased him at a pet store so I am unsure of his exact age. I do know he is under a year. I was wondering if I am doing the right thing by him, or if I should be doing more. I am trying to socialize with him as much as possible. However, I am nervous to take him out for more then an hour bc I do not want him to over heat himself (he over heated once already and I rushed him to the emergency vet). He eats out of my hand, lets me pet him in his cage (rub his head and behind his ears), and he loves to climb all over me when he is out and about. I also try to pick him up at least once a day, of course very gently, from his belly supporting his back legs. Each time I pick him up he receives a raisin. If anyone has any other suggestions of what I should do during this adjustment period to make Baxter happier and to help me bond with him please let me know. Thanks everyone ;)
Laura :)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: New Chinchilla Owner
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »

It sounds like you are doing a great job!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up