Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Buddy?  (Read 1980 times)

Mindy.Chin

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Little Buddy?
« on: January 07, 2012, 04:22:26 AM »

So, when I bought Mindy, I sadly had to take her away from her mate (Poor girl, but I couldn't get her previous owner to sell the boy too... I guess she was very attached to the boy.). She is pregnant and due for kits in a couple of weeks, but she still seems kind of lonely, and after her kits are old enough to be weaned, she will be lonely again. Right now, getting another chinchilla is out of the picture, so I was thinking about buying her a little stuffed animal to groom and love and keep her company. Couple questions though:

-What are acceptable materials (In case she decided to eat her little friend instead...) for her too chew?

-Has anyone else done this? Where are some places I can find acceptable plushies for a chinchilla (I was thinking the thrift store, and finding one).

-Is the stuffing in a stuffed animal bad for her? I was thinking about ripping out the stuffing and stuffing it with newspaper shreds or something safe.

-What is safe detergents to use to wash it?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I try to play with her and keep her company as much as I can, but I can't be around all the time.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:25:43 AM by Mindy.Chin »

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Little Buddy?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 08:57:28 AM »

If your chinchilla has any girls, leave one of the girls with her. My Pooka had a girl and they have been doing really good together. At lest she isn't lonely.
Quyana Shannon Seager

Mindy.Chin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 01:18:44 PM »

Yeah I always could... I will probably wait to see what she has before getting one. But if she has a boy, I will still get her the stuffed animal.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:13:32 AM »

Many of my singles have stuffed toys. Just watch for button eyes and other removable pieces. Most don't chew them opened so the stuffing should be fine. Just remove/replace it when/if it does get ripped. Yes I get mine from the thrift shop or the grandkids toy box LOL.
Debbie.nl.ca

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 08:12:17 PM »

You could get a separate cage for the boy. Just make sure That he and his mom are in view.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

LeaJo22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:19:44 PM »

you could use fleece to make it and use scraps of fleece for the stuffing that's what the one I have is made out of
Pages: [1]   Go Up