Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Chinchillas and weird humping behavior  (Read 6028 times)

GimliAndSalaChinParents

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
New Chinchillas and weird humping behavior
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »

I got my two baby boys about three weeks ago. I am a first time chinchilla owner but I did extensive research before getting my boys so that I could be the best chin parent possible. We (my fiance and I) got ours from a hobby breeder and she said they were both boys and very healthy and even sociable. The first week we would just put our hands in their cage and pet them, then we started doing daily playtime where they are free to come in and out of their cage for at least an hour while we take 20-40 minute turns sitting in their play area with them, they climb on us and run around happily. They have both warmed up to us, but it took one longer. We have a tan one (Sala) and a med ebony one (Gimli). Gimli is supposed to be a month older than Sala but Sala looks significantly bigger. What worries me is the mounting behavior of Sala. At first he would only half heartedly mount his cagemate, something I knew could just been harmless dominance hierarchy building, but it was always a frequent thing. Gimli didn't seem too bothered by it, usually just ignoring him or just kind of walking away. But the last several days Sala has gotten more 'intense' about it. He mounts him and humps at him, making squeaking noises, Gimli's reactions haven't changed much but now we actually have to pull him off of Gimli instead of just kind of nudging him or saying something. They seem to get along despite all this, there has been no nipping or fur loss, but Sala keeps getting bigger than Gimli too. Gimli has always been more sociable, warming up to us faster and showing very little fear while Sala has always been more cautious, skittish and fearful, but both have warmed up to us now. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: New Chinchillas and weird humping behavior
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »

It's not unusual for there to be significant differences in size between different color mutations. It is a trait inherited by the parents. The mounting behavior seems normal to me and you probably won't be able to do anything about it. Some males are worse about this than others. Your reaction to this could be contributing to Sala's stand-offish behavior. Unless there are signs of hair loss and fighting or signs of stress in Gimli (or driving him away from his food) I would just ignore it and hope it is a phase that will eventually pass. Perhaps someone else has more ideas.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 01:43:21 PM »

Yes, its normal.  As the boys get closer to maturity they have to agree that one will be the alpha.  To do this they will jump on each other's back.  This needs to be done to establish the peeking order so let them do it.  They will go back and forth, sometimes nose to nose and they will bark and be very vocal.  How long it lasts depends on how willing one is to give up the alpha spot.  Even after the spot is decided the alpha will do it just a little more to prove he can, then it should stop.

I would take a peek under each one to be sure they look the same, just in case.  There should be an obvious space between the penis and the anus.  Even seasoned breeders can get it wrong from time to time if they sex the chins on the day of birth and don't do a double check later.  I always check again with the new owner just before they leave because I have had them "change sexes" on me.  LOL  A quick check at day 1 can cause a mix-up now and then since their parts are so small at that age.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

GimliAndSalaChinParents

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:45:19 PM »

Thanks for your feedback. I guess we will just let them hump each other and hope it's just a phase, as long as we don't start seeing signs of stress. I will try to take a peek at their stuff, they don't really let us hold them much, but we'll try. We're talking about taking them into the vet for a check up too, just to make sure they are growing healthy and everything. :) Thanks again.

GimliAndSalaChinParents

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 11:36:26 PM »

So we have been trying to ignore the humping. I haven't interfered and they are still struggling to figure out who is dominant. Yesterday I found a small wound on Sala's ear. I'm not sure it looks like a nip. He does tend to run around a lot really fast and often find himself running face first into a wall or a ledge. I've never seen them nip each other. They both try to hump the other and once in a while one will get annoyed and bark at the other and get in his face, but I've never seen them nip. I'm really hoping it's not a nip, cuz I would hate to have to separate them. What does a nip on an ear look like?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 06:17:35 AM »

If it's a nip you'll probably see two sets of marks or bruises next to each other or on opposites sides of the bitten area. One from the upper and the other from the lower incisors. Sometimes you'll see two holes on each mark (two teeth on each side).
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GimliAndSalaChinParents

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:00:20 AM »

It looks like it might just be one little hole on the very edge of his ear and the area around it is try and almost flaky.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 11:33:15 AM »

Do you think it could have been caught in something in the cage?
Can you send a picture?

GimliAndSalaChinParents

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »

The one little spot is already healed, it just looks dry, like maybe he's been scratching it. I took a picture but I'm not sure how to post pictures on this forum.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »

At the bottom of the screen where you type a new message there is an "Attachments and other options" link where you can attach a photo up to 128KB in size. What you are describing sounds like it might be some kind of skin condition as opposed to a bite wound bit I don't know. Perhaps someone who has seen this before can comment if the picture is available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up