Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A three legged chin and a flying saucer?  (Read 1408 times)

Jennyjoy

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: Two
    • View Profile
A three legged chin and a flying saucer?
« on: October 21, 2012, 06:26:09 PM »

Hello,
I'm donating a flying saucer to one of the SPCA's and they have two chins that share a cage but one of the chinchillas has three legs (it's missing a back leg). And I do know that it takes some time for a chinchilla to get used to a flying saucer but I'm wondering if the flying saucer will be safe for a three legged chinchilla? This is how the chinchilla arrived at the SPCA two years ago so it's had plenty of time to get used to being three legged. I'd love to adopt these little guys but I just don't have the room in my place as I already have a female chin and a male chin that live separately. I just want to be able to enhance their life at the SPCA in case they're there for another two years. I gladly welcome any advice!
Jennifer

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Re: A three legged chin and a flying saucer?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 06:32:28 PM »

Has the chinchilla lost its all of its leg or just like the foot? My chin recently had to lose its foot and some of the leg but still has quite of bit a of his leg which he can use to get around. Watching him jump around and his brother he really isn't any different he doesn't seem like he can jump as high but he seems normal. As for saucer i don't have one to test but if still has some of his leg i'm sure he can use it and even if can't use the 4th leg id assume he'd still use the saucer just fine. He may prefer not use it most chins never get use to saucers so can't ever give a definite answer but my guess is yes he mostly can use a saucer and will be safe as long as its solid which think all are.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:01:36 PM by gasaraki03 »

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:46:39 AM »

I also had a chinchilla that lost its back leg due to a very traumatic birth.  It was just below the hip.  He also adapted fine and would bounce all around his cage, climb the walls, and you would never know he was missing a leg.  I think he will learn to use it just fine.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jennyjoy

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: Two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 12:20:34 AM »

Thanks for replying, it definitely makes me feel like this little guy will be able to handle it, I just hope his cage mate won't get too pushy and push Hop off. Hop had to have his entire back leg amputated so he does just have the one good back leg and like I said, he's had at least two years to get used to adapting to three legs. The flying saucer will only go the speed that he goes so it should be good! I'll have to get the SPCA to give me updates on their progress with the saucer. Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up