Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Update!  (Read 4706 times)

tinabeana

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Update!
« on: February 16, 2007, 01:04:46 AM »

Here is the original story.

I didn't want to keep hijacking the thread.

So we bought the chinchilla. She's almost completely on a diet of Manzuri and hay now. Her poops are normal and she's looking good! The pet store employees seemed very happy when we bought her, they reduced the price and gave us the cage (although it was so small we still had to get another one).

She seems to have adjusted well so far, now after her quarentine period its time to introduce her to Maggie. I'm a little nervous. Maggie is very spoiled and I don't know how she'll react if they are introduced in the open and the new chinchilla (yet to be named) is quite a bit bigger although they are about the same age.

We've given them the same dust bath, and put their cages side by side. Anyone have any other suggestions for a good introduction? What should we look out for? We don't know what an aggressive chinchilla acts like...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 12:40:05 PM by tinabeana »

jmrothermel

• View Profile
Re: Chinchilla Update!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 08:31:32 AM »

You could give them playtime together in a neutral territory, just make sure that you are standing there keeping a close eye on them.  If they start to stand up and spray each other (I'm going with they are both girls based on the name Maggie :)) or if they start harassing each other with chasing and alot of fur slipping put them back and try again tommorrow.  Some people also say that they rotate the chins through each others cages, but since Maggie is used to being spoiled ;) then she might get upset in the other cage.  But its just another idea for you.

Best of luck with the introduction.  Sounds like that girl is in a much better home now!

Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

tinabeana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 01:00:08 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions!

We brought the new chinchilla (STILL unnamed as of yet we call her chinnie) out so they could sniff each other with only one set of bars between them.. There was no growling, no screaming, no sounds at all. They sort of appeared to nibble on each others faces, I couldn't tell if they were nibbling or just moving their mouths/noses and they sniffed a lot but nothing either of them seemed to be uncomfortable with.

Being in a busy pet store for 8 or so months with puppies barking and children poking at her through the cage, the new chinchilla isn't too timid and Maggie doesn't seem threatened.  I'm hoping for the best.

This is her (she looks much lighter in person).

« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 01:02:16 PM by tinabeana »

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 01:21:44 PM »

Awww... she's adorable. :)
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »

She is adorable!  ::silly::

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 12:30:48 PM »

Awww. I hope they don't just get another chinchilla at the pet store.  :-[
But by the sounds of it (reducing her price and giving you the cage) it sounds like they won't.

I'm glad she's in good hands now and she looks lovely.  :::grins::
Good luck introducing them! I have been trying to introduce two rabbits after I took another one on (that's a dog and a rabbit we've rescued in the last month, we're way to soft) without much luck. Cheech loves them both though.  :::grins::

tinabeana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 02:34:19 PM »

So everyone seems to be adjusting well. We still separate them when we aren't home and when we go to bed just to be safe but for most of the time we are home they are together.

They spend a lot of time snuggling and grooming each other. Occasionally we hear a little squawk from Stoli (that's what we've named the new one) but I think it's because Maggie isn't quite so skilled at her grooming technique and tends to get a little closer to Stoli's ear then Stoli would prefer.

So far though no fighting, biting, kicking or bickering at all. I'm actually very relieved, everyone said there would be the most chance of fighting between two females but they appear to enjoy each others company.

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 08:08:59 AM »

I was told the same thing with my boys but they just get along fine they still do a little squawk when they groom each other but I have had snowball for a year in the summer and when I separate them the one that is in the cage is desperately trying to get out I was told that same sex chins don't get along very well and there is a higher chance of them fighting but I had no problems from the door but if you also remember chins are very social animals just don't throw 2 males in the same cage when there is a female in the same room then there will be big trouble
 ::silly::
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 02:21:07 PM »

All chinchillas are different.  While there is more of a chance of two females not getting along (since they tend to be the more dominant of the sexes) that doesn't mean they never can!  I'm glad your girls are doing well together.   :)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 05:11:33 PM »

Oh they are just too cute.
I find it easier with only one sex around too. It's putting both in the one room upsets my chins apple carts.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up