Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help please  (Read 2195 times)

special.mat

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
help please
« on: March 05, 2007, 03:53:04 AM »

hey
a few days ago i baught a chin at first she was very nervous barking and staying in a corner so we let her be. and would put out hands in there slowly let her niblle and get used to us gradualy getting closer and closser. now she is pritty tame only thing is she is exhausted. we dont plaay with her we take her out and pet hher le her cuddle. but she hassnt been running or anything. and she is always sleeping its 2 in the morning and she sleeps any where she falls asleep in her dust bath (i take her out cuz i dont think sleeping in there would be good for her) but yeah. i cnt tell why she is so sleepy. also she doesnt seem to be eating much or atleast i havent seen her eating much. what should i do?

jmrothermel

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: help please
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 07:13:38 AM »

How are her poos?  Is she still going normally?  Is she drinking normally?  You need to carefully monitor her food and water intake, and stool output carefully.  I have one chin that all he does is sleep!  I swear no matter what time it is if you go over to him he's sleeping.  Then I have two that never sleep, and sometimes I'd sure like them too!  LOL  But they're always awake bouncing around their cage.  So chins have different personalities, and your chin just might be one of the more laid back ones.

I'm sure some of the more experienced members on here will give you some better advice, but it gives you a place to start.  Monitor the eating/drinking/poos, and let us know how those are.  Also if you have a gram scale, start weighing her.  Alot of problems with chins can be seen in their weights.

Hope that everything is ok.
Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 11:48:43 AM »

::silly::Since she is a fairly new chin to you, some of the following may not apply, but ... it usually does to most ...

1)  Chins do not like change and this can often upset their digestive systems as well as their emotional outlook on things.  Change can be as drastic as being moved from one home to another, or as simple as being moved from one place to another, in the same room.

2)  When you have had a chin for a while and are familiar with it's "normal" way of being you can see the "mood" changes in them quickly.  What is normally a happy chin, can have a drastic mood swing and become hateful or mean due to not feeling good.  This is often one of the first warnings of illness.  As in humans, we are not at our best when sick, same way with chinchillas.

3)  As a general rule ... a chinchilla that sits quietly and lets you rub him constantly and does not want to get down to play or move around much ... is a sick chinchilla.   Have you had a vet check her?  I would, especially for a heart murmur and/or a fecal test for any parasites or other problems. 

That being said ... there are always exceptions to every rule.   You many have one of the very rare "calm/laid-back chinchillas".  We'll keep our fingers crossed that, that is the case.

4)  Please remove the dust bath after 10 to 15 minutes.  When you leave it in there, it becomes a breeding ground for germs and fungus.  Dust baths need to be given only 2 to 4 times a week, as a general rule, and for only 10 or 15 minutes.  The dust bath dust needs to be sifted to remove any poops and if there is a clump ... this means the chin has peed/urinated in it.  When it is soiled with urine, it should be emptied, the container washed and fresh dust bath dust for the next dusting.

5)  I would, if it were for me, for safety-sake, have a good exotic pet vet that is familiar with chinchillas, give her a good check-up. 

It is best to be safe rather than sorry ...
      it is also cheaper to catch a problem early and fix it,
           rather than wait until it is almost to late or is to late.

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 11:50:32 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 11:35:18 AM »

She is probebely still pretty young too.
Kits sleep a lot more.
A check up wouldn't hurt if your worried about her.
So how is her out put? Do you see lots of dropping in the cage, and a pee spot.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up