Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play time...  (Read 2364 times)

todd0329

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Play time...
« on: August 22, 2007, 04:38:38 PM »

Hey fellow Chinchilla lovers...
My girlfriend and I (proud owners of two Chins) are curious about what some of you do with your Chins at play time.   We pretty much let our Chins out of the cage twice a day.  Being a teacher, I have the summer off and can spend a little more time with our Chins than the 'average' owner.  Our Chins seem to like to be let out at around 11am or so.  They run around for a while, then go back to the cage on their own and/or fall asleep under the cage, or in a closet upstairs.  We have Chin proofed our whole house (3-stories), and hence, give them full-run of the place.  After their dinner (usually around 5-6pm), we open the cage door and let them decide if they want to come out or not.  Without fail, they'll come and visit us as we watch TV in the loft (our 3rd floor).  They go back into the cage around 11pm with the incentive of treats. 
As far as play, one of our Chins (named Baby) likes to be chased (as mentioned in another post - See http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,949.0.html).  We discovered last night that they long for attention after play time when they're back in their cage.  Both Baby and Chilli (our other significant other) enjoyed some tug o' war with us with the apple and peach wood sticks, as well as some other interesting play.  And, they were both interested in climbing our outstretched hands and arms (and our shoulders as we hunched down by one of their platforms).  This was all new to us, and we'll try it again tonight.  We feel that they are becoming more at ease with us (they are 8 months old now, and we got them at age 3 months).   
Please feel free to pass on play ideas or play situations that you find yourselves in with the little furry cuties. 
TODD & FRANCES

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: Play time...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 05:45:38 PM »

When Cheech and Chong are out they don't let me get near them, lol. So most of their attention they get in the cages. Cheech gets tickled through the bars and a game I play with both of them, is get a little bit of wood and poke it through the bars then just as they're about to get it, pull it away and poke it in somewhere else. Many minutes of fun. Of course I let them have it after a while.

I also open the doors and let them run onto my lap for a cuddle, always letting them have the escape back into the cage. Cheech almost fell asleep on my lap yesterday and I was so amazed. I guess it just takes time to work up the level of trust. Chong won't let me stroke him, he's either shy or really ticklish because he twitches when I touch him and backs off. He walks backwards a lot. :)

Chin_Vinny

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 12:58:13 PM »

game? i guess its keep away from the human and chew on his stuff when hes not looking if you count that a game, for the most part i just sit in the middle of the floor and watch them and they sometimes use me as a jungle gym or a means to get to higher ground

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 03:24:59 PM »

For my chins it just depends on their personality, my newer ones that I havent raised can't really be trusted without supervision.  My ones that I have raised, I dont have to worry about them when they are out running around.  I think reguardless your chins should atleast be in some kind of controlled area.  Eventhough you think your house is chin proofed, you'd be surprised as to what your chins can get into trouble with.  If they decide to take a nibble of the wall and there is paint or a certain wood that chins cant chew you could be ending up with a vet bill.  It goes beyond just making sure they dont get up, on , or under things, you have to think about the fact that chins will test and chew EVERYTHING...lol....I have to constantly keep an eye on a few of my chins for that reason they love chewing on the painted edges of the wall.  As far as games go you can play a game that actually trains the chin too. When you bring new chins out or even your current ones who wont let you pick them out without ease, grab a box of raisins, or some other treat.  when they come near you give them a raisin and call to them.  Pretty soon with enough patience and practice you can shake that raisin box and they will come running from wherever they are!!! ;)

Deanna

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 08:35:19 AM »

OK, here's what I do with Otis:

He loves these fruit flavored mineral treats. I hold one in my two fingers and I call his name. I play with him in the bathroom; known to be the safest room for a chinchilla, so then he comes over, sniffs it, runs and hides behind the sink, and then Otis comes and yanks it out of my fingers with his little teeth! Otis thinks it's fun.

::gobananago:: ::banana:: ::gobananago:: ::banana:: ::gobananago:: ::banana:: ::gobananago:: ::banana:: ::gobananago:: ::banana::
I love Otis!
Pages: [1]   Go Up