Poll

I just adopted a chin about a week ago

Stressed Out?
- 0 (0%)
Bedding?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: stressed out?  (Read 3160 times)

chinnyboo

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
stressed out?
« on: January 25, 2008, 07:12:06 PM »

Hello Everyone! I just got my baby boy Noelle about a week ago. He's come around and he'll take treats and sniff/stand on my hand. I made the mistake of using pine bedding a couple of days ago and today I bought some Care Fresh. While the pine was in his cage I noticed he got very inactive, and would only sit/sleep in his wheel. So after I changed his bedding I figured he'd become his active little self again but he's still just sitting in his wheel. I've also noticed he's squatting down in it and kind of laying on his side. This doesn't seem normal! I've checked and his ears and paws are not red so I don't think it's overheating. I took his wheel out just in case it's something to do with that. Even at night when he used to bounce off the walls he's just lying there. I'm very concerned- do any of you know what it might be? Thank you so much!  ::shrug::

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: stressed out?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 07:36:20 PM »

I"m pretty new to chins too, I"ve only had them for two months.  But I know that lethary isn't a good sign.  Is he eating?  Are his poops normal?  If he's not eating or drinking go to a vet straight away.  I can't guide you much with poops, but I know if they're not healthy it can mean problems.    If it gets worse, go to a vet right away. 

Although, my girls were shy of me at first, and were closet exercisers.  If i went in the room, they would stop whatever they were doing and just look at me.  I know some chins lay on their sides, but mine only do it when they're hot.  I once had a problem where their old house that I took of the cage was on the heater and aiming the hot air right at them!  Poor things were very hot.  Check the temperature in the room. Get a thermometer if you need to.

I'm sure other people will have more insight, but be sure to monitor Noelle very closely, any problems and go to a vet.  I'd find a 24 hour one right now just in case.  Did you get him from a breeder?  You could always call them to see what they think.

Hope this helps.

chinnyboo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 07:40:43 PM »

Yes he has been eating pretty well, all the time really. His poop is hard like its been, and the last time I saw him drink water was last night. Do you think it's at all possible he's playing during the day and just trying to get some rest at night? I know that may seem pretty unlikely since they're nocturnal, but it's worth a shot? Thank you all for any help you can give me :(

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:44:15 AM »

Hi there chinnyboo.  I've only had my Lulu since last August, but I notice that she's only really active for about an hour at a time.  She'll be up and awake at the strangest times, all random ones.  Like she gets up with me in the morning, is active then, sleeps for a few hours, gets up at like 2 pm and runs around her cage, sleeps, I let her out at 5, she runs then sleeps again...and most nights (after say, 10 pm) she sleeps the night away.  I'm a light sleeper and her cage is right next to my bed and she rarely wakes me.  Are you home during the weekends?  Try to spend some time in the same room with your chin during the day and see if it's active.  If you still notice it's not drinking water or is still letheargic, go to a vet immediately.  Also, they always sleep in the strangest positions, it's completely normal!  My Lulu never understood the conventional wheel either and slept in it all the time.  I've got a flying saucer en route and hope that she will understand how to use that one!

Also, pine bedding is better than the carefresh.  See the topic "carefresh bad???" (click last 30 posts).  I guess it can build up in their digestive system and cause blockages.  I thought it was good, too, being recycled paper and all, but found out that it's bad.  Plus it's really expensive!  I recently switched to pine, because there was no Aspen available around here, and Lulu seems just fine with it.  She even eats some and it doesn't seem to cause her any problems.

Good luck and keep us posted.  This forum is wonderful, in case you haven't noticed.  Everyone has helped me so much with my Lulu, and now we're in love... ;)

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 01:21:23 PM »

I use both Pine and Aspen bedding. Be careful with the carefresh because if the chin eats it, it could cause blockage. The chin might be a little sensitive to the odor in the pine, mine have never had a problem though. The Aspen bedding, I have found, has the least amount of odor. I buy the Kaytee brand that specifically has no aroumatic oils.

Also, check the size of his poops. Are they tiny? large?

Start monitoring the amount of food and water being consumed. Don't fill the bowl up, put two tablespoons of pellets in there. It will help you see how much he eats. If he devours that, add another tablespoon. Make sure he has plenty of fresh hay, as well.

If he has been lathargic for a few days, you might want to take him to the vet to have him looked at. There are plenty of illnesses he could have already had that are just showing symptoms if you have only had him a week. Have his teeth checked for malocclussion.

You should do this immediately, for your protection. Most stores have a two week policy for you to find an illness in the animal and return it.

It could be as simple as the chin is just getting comfortable in his new surroundings, because sometimes that can be a lengthy process. It is always best to go with your gut. If you suspect that he is feeling ill, it is always best to be safe than sorry. Some illnesses can pop up suddenly and be devestating, and some come on slowly and cause a lot of pain.

Good luck! Keep us posted!! :)
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

chinnyboo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 02:24:57 PM »

I think you just might be right. I'm at school during the day, but when I get home I rush right to his cage and find him in his wheel. He'll play a little and then nap and then play. Last night I stuck my hand in his cage to change his food and he figured out if he hops on my arm and runs fast enough he can escape.  :::grins:: Pretty Funny. I mixed in some pine with his care fresh and he seems to be doing better. It was a scare! Also I've noticed he has a thing for nibbling my finger nails, he'll sniff around my hand, but the only thing he's really fond of nibbling is my nail. Do any of yours do this? Thank you all!

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 03:06:25 PM »

It's normal for chins to chew on your fingernails.
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 03:26:12 PM »

He could just have been extra excited in his new home, which is why he was so bouncy, and seems calmer now.  The first time I let my chins out of their cage, they almost over-heated themselves they were so excited!  Maybe now he's just being normal. 

Taking any new pet to a vet is a good idea, make sure he's healthy, and then you have a basis to compare any visits to when he's sick. 

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »

That's great. My Petie loves fingernails and toenails. When I am cleaning his cage, he tries to play with my toenails and it tickles my feet.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 06:59:21 PM »

It does take them time to settle and if everything else looks normal I wouldn't worry.
Chins can sleep in some pretty strange positions, he could be just getting comfy.
Always go with your gut, if your worried and feel he's not acting normal do get him checked out at the vets.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up