Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help with my new baby.  (Read 3338 times)

Lexa

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I need help with my new baby.
« on: August 16, 2008, 01:52:22 PM »

Hello, I'm new to this website and I joined because eveyone on here seems to know a lot that could help me.

I've had my chin Hammy for almost a year and I said I would only ever have him because he was the baby of my house and I didn't think he would like to share that spot.  That being said I happend into a pet shop last week and they had one baby left.  I went back everyday for a week looking at him until I decided just to get him.  Gizzie is home now and in his new cage away from Hammy untill I make sure he's not sick, I've had him for two days, but I have a problem.
     At the pet shop he had his water in a dish, and here at home I only let Hammy have a bottle, so that's what I have for Gizzie too, but he's not drinking out of it, I have to give him a small dish every two hours so that he will drink, but I hate doing that because when I have to work no one is going to be home, I've already missed a day at work so that I can be with him, but thats not going to work again.  Any ideas on how to get him used to the bottle?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:10:17 PM by Lexa »

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
Re: I need help with my new baby.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 04:34:37 PM »

I would maybe try tapping you finger on the spout and touching it to his mouth to show him before you give him a water dish. Maybe that would help. Sorry, I have just never come across this problem before.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Lexa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 04:57:21 PM »

I never had this problem with Hammy, but I've never been to a pet shop where they didn't give the animals bottles.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:22:23 PM by Lexa »

Deeliteful

• # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 05:47:43 PM »

I would suggest not putting the water bowl in there . Instead .. every chance you get .. tap the water bottle with your finger and hold it to the little guys nose and mouth so that he can smell and even taste the water ... eventually he will get the idea and I would think get thirsty enough to try it .

My chinchilla came to me knowing about the bottle however I have had rats come to me that had no idea ... I had to show them them bottle in the same manner and eventually after that and watching the other rats drink that way they caught on. Even have taught the baby rats I have had in litters to drink from the bottle by gently brushing their nose against it until a little water ran over their nose .

Just a few suggestions but I think if you continue to put the bowl of water in there he wont ever learn about the bottle . and bowls in chinchilla cages are bad lol . I hope I am not wrong on this but that is what I would do if I had this issue. I hope it all works out.

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 07:28:11 PM »

Yes, putting the bowl of water in there is bad. There is a good chance that it will spill and he will get wet. That leaves a great chance for him getting sick.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »

I'm sure he will learn from your other chinnie when they're in the same room. Even if they're in separate cages my two learned all sorts of things from each other.
Also, you could try smooshing a raisin between your fingers and rubbing the pulp on the end of the spout, that might make him more curious about it so he figures out what it is. But then you'd have to wash the spout really well so it doesn't go mouldy. I've never tried that but if mine even smell raisin on anything they won't leave it alone until they're sure it isn't one. :)

Lexa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 10:14:47 PM »

I have an update for everyone.

First thank you for all the help you guys have given me, and second Gizzie figured out the water bottle this morning!!! It makes me very happy I was getting worried.

Deeliteful

• # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 09:13:53 PM »

Thats awesome  ::clapp:: I knew he would figure it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up